Raj Mata of Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
(as told by Dr. Neil Patterson)
"In 1976, the Raj Mata of Lucknow, U. P., came to visit Maharishi in
Switzerland. She had been a great devotee of Guru Dev when he was
Shankaracharya and Guru Dev used to stay at the Royal Palace
whenever he would visit Lucknow. Raj Mata told me that she remembers
Maharishi when he was a brahmachari serving Guru Dev, but she really
didn't pay much attention to him at the time. However, she was very
surprised years later, after Guru Dev had left this earth, when
people would come to herÂ…people who had known Guru Dev and who had
recently seen Maharishi. They would tell Raj Mata that Maharishi is
just like Guru Dev. At first, Raj Mata said she didn't believe this.
But throughout the sixties and early seventies, people kept telling
her that Maharishi was just like Guru Dev and that she should go and
see him. So, finally, she decided that before the end of her life,
she had to come and see for herself. She stayed with us for about
three months. On the day she was leaving, I escorted her to
Maharishi's meeting room where she was to see him for the last time
and with my assistance she sat on the floor. I protested that
Maharishi would not want her to sit on the floor but she said to me
in a very heartful tone,
'Oh no, you do not understand. When all those people told me that
Maharishi was just like Guru Dev, I came to see for myself. But
having been with Maharishi these past few months, I can see that
they were wrong. Maharishi is not like Guru Dev, He is Guru Dev.
There is no difference between the two. Maharishi got completely
absorbed in Guru Dev's Being and became That. Maharishi is not only
the disciple who is just like the Master. He is the Master. He is
Guru Dev and therefore I have to sit at his feet.'"