Someone must have said the TM was the fastest way to enlightenment. I seem to
recall hear that phrase, or something similar to it. On a quick search I found
a website page that mentioned it:

 http://shell.forethought.net/~risaacs/l_mahari.htm
http://shell.forethought.net/~risaacs/l_mahari.htm

 'Maharishi is a disciple of the now deceased, former Shankaracharya of North
India, Swami Brahmananda Saraswati. This great swami was a Surya Yogin, and one
of the characteristics of a Surya Yogin is that he teaches in a manner which
causes different disciples to draw different conclusions about the nature of
his teaching. A good example of this is the disparity in the teachings of
Maharishi and those of Swami Prakashananda, both disciples of Swami Brahmananda
Saraswati. The former claims that "TM" (a form of Raja Yoga) is the fastest way
to enlightenment and the latter claims that his version of Bhakti Yoga is not
only the fastest way, but also the only way to reach "the highest dimensions of
spiritual awareness". Forgetting for the moment that both of these attitudes
are not in harmony with key principles of The Art of Multi-dimensional Living,
let us stay focused on Maharishi's contributions to the transformation of world
consciousness and how he interpreted and developed Swami Brahmananda
Saraswati's basic teaching.'

 Another web page with a similar mention.

 http://www.nnseek.com/Teachter_s.html http://www.nnseek.com/Teachter_s.html

 'The reason he once started meditation was because of a meditation

 teachter that told him when he was twenty: hey, Transcendental

 Meditation is the fastest way to enlightenment. Then I knew: this is

 what I was looking for.'

So the phrase seems to have been around. I think it is likely Maharishi said it
at some point, as he always exaggerated for effect. I recall also something
about in 5 years you would be enlightened with TM. I think Charlie Lutes said
it. But then he added that Maharishi forgot to add the zeros.

 I recall some governors in the mid seventies saying Maharishi said that some
of them (in the group they were in on a course) might get enlightened,
implying, because they were young, they might have enough time before they died.

 If enlightenment is a state 'out of time', .i.e., eternal, how is it possible
to get enlightened temporally? If it is reality, it already has to be here,
whether it is realised or not. It is not a matter of doing something. It is a
matter of letting something that is going on now stopping, so that the
anticipation that enlightenment is going to be some event at a future time no
longer arises in experience; then there is the possibility.

 For any one individual, there is no fastest path, there is only what happens
with that particular person, 30 seconds; 70 years; never; who knows?

 What is the worst path to enlightenment, the one that takes the longest, but
still works? Could it be we have already learned it?

 =======

 Same conclusion as everyone else's - Edg nailed it to the wall.

 That is my recollection as well, as one who did give many lectures and teach
courses.

 It just wasn't a talking point.

 Of course was going to produce dozens of teachers who claimed something, I
forget what, a few days ago.

 I requested he produce one, which of course he couldn't.

 What the f, do you think the lurking reporters make of this guy?

 Barry is trolling. I have never heard anyone in the TM Org, including my
teacher, say that TM was the fastest way to enlightenment. It is not on any
tapes, or in any lectures, or books. I challenge Barry to find even one
recorded instance of this phrase, used by anyone in the TMO. He is more
interested in tooting his limp horn, than any sort of reality based
conversation. As usual.

 Actually, Barry, you've discounted Maharishi's progress on the spiritual path
as someone who had achieved nothing.  At the same time you've discussed your
experiences practicing his technique, which happen to coincide with the
signposts of higher consciousness outlined by M.

 I always had a feeling that it would emerge that you would in some way appoint
yourself as being the "One".

 Maybe consider changing your handle to "Neo turq", or "Neo Barry"

 No need to be modest about it.

 Come out of the closet, boy.

 It's not so much a rumor, more of a sales pitch or claim, but I've always
gotten a chuckle from "TM is the fastest path to enlightenment on the planet,"
coming from an organization that in over 50 years has been unable to produce
even a single person they can point at and say, "This person is enlightened,
and got that way as a result of practicing TM."

 Think of it...over 50 years with a single "success story" they're willing to
present in public, and they still claim to be "the fastest path."