Re ENVY:

 Yes, I've always regarded it as an odd vice! It's really wishing that you
weren't who in fact you are. I mean, I can idly fantasize about being a
Wimbledon champion but as I'm not fit, I have minimal will power and couldn't
be arsed to train every day, I've clearly never been Wimbledon material. So for
me to be envious of someone who is a tennis star would be a very superficial
and ridiculous reaction. Your remark about what "someone else's reality really
is" hits the nail on the head. You have to start from where you are and either
settle for it or up your game.

 The odd thing is that as we live in such a celebrity obsessed age our views
are clearly not those of the majority.

 I never understood envy - what a useless emotion. Envy must be nature's way of
saying, "Get off your butt, and Do Something".

 I think you are absolutely right. Envy could lead to positive action. On the
other hand, envy seems to stem from a kind of sense of entitlement. Envy does
not take in the complexity of why or how someone has, owns or is what they do,
it only seems to originate from the fact that someone wants, free, that as
well. I have stopped envying anyone because you never know what things really
cost or what someone's reality really is. Something seen from the outside is
just the shell of the thing a lot of the time.

 Yep. Seems like the idea of average people like me walking around enlightened,
with the ability to act in a spontaneous way, is frightening to some. Must be
an ego thing.

 I think it's lack of vision and, yes, envy.

 So, there has never been a model, of how an enlightened person acts, as a
householder. Maharishi brought out a lot of elements regarding diet,
architecture, health, and even fashion (saris and crowns, robes and cream
colored suits) that although provocative, and even quietly revolutionary, will
only be adopted by a tiny minority. The trick is to weave an enlightened life
within our own culture, and culture in the West favors the individual, so we
are back to square one. :-)

 This is what I don't get, the idea that some people have that you can know who
is "enlightened" and who isn't. The fact that they can have this ingrained set
of ideas of how enlightened people act is quite hilarious. I mean, on what are
these ideas based? Where did they come from? It seems like if enlightened
people were to follow the 'guidelines' of what some here seem to think
enlightenment means you'd be the most boring person on the planet. Perhaps
their ideas are along the lines of acting like some bookish saint, doing plenty
of volunteer time at your local food kitchen and ASPCA, donating a few organs
and baking pies and casseroles for the neighborhood after having built your
neighbor's barn and knitted a slew of sweaters for the needy. I say most have
very old fashioned and limited views on this enlightenment business. What, an
enlightened person can show anger or impatience? Pish posh.