On 11/20/2014 9:57 AM, Share Long wrote:

I'm not sure what turq finds so annoying about "belief." Heck, if we didn't have beliefs, we'd have to learn everything all over every single day. For example, when I cross the busy intersection while walking to the post office, I believe the cars will obey the red light. I don't know 100% for sure that they will. But I think they will based on past experience. Except past experience also includes seeing many a dingbat run the red light! I think belief is what we do all day long simply because we can't know anything for sure until AFTER it has happened. d even then, our perceptions are skewed by the state of our nervous system.

/Probably none of us have been up in space so we could witness the curvature of the earth first-hand. So, we take the verbal testimony of others that the earth is spherical in shape.

There is no a priori knowledge that we are born with. We know very little when we are born - so we must learn almost everything we know from our teachers.//The question is: what are the valid means of knowledge?//
//
/

 * /Sense perception/
 * /Inference./