On 11/20/2014 10:18 AM, Share Long wrote:

Nice, Richard, thanks, makes me realize that probably most of us theists are using inference and verbal testimony.

/So, there are three valid means of knowledge (epistemology): we see and hear things; we are told or read about things; and other things we infer based on our experience.

For example, we sense with our eyes that all things fall down. So, we infer that there is gravitas ///and there is order in the cosmos /. When we are born we know next to nothing, so, we go out and find a teacher - verbal testimony.

A//ccording to the ancient Indian tradition, there is another valid means of knowledge: transcendental knowledge - a knowledge that is beyond the senses.

Transcendental, not in the Aristotelian view of God as the prime mover, but a non-material self-consciousness that is knowing itself. A cognitive faculty that exists a priori to experience of sense objects. Transcendental knowledge is knowledge that enables our mind to understand and experience objects in the first place.

/

*From:* "'Richard J. Williams' pundits...@gmail.com [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
*To:* FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
*Sent:* Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:14 AM
*Subject:* Re: [FairfieldLife] A question for those who believe in God

On 11/20/2014 9:57 AM, Share Long wrote:

I'm not sure what turq finds so annoying about "belief." Heck, if we didn't have beliefs, we'd have to learn everything all over every single day. For example, when I cross the busy intersection while walking to the post office, I believe the cars will obey the red light. I don't know 100% for sure that they will. But I think they will based on past experience. Except past experience also includes seeing many a dingbat run the red light! I think belief is what we do all day long simply because we can't know anything for sure until AFTER it has happened. d even then, our perceptions are skewed by the state of our nervous system.

/Probably none of us have been up in space so we could witness the curvature of the earth first-hand. So, we take the verbal testimony of others that the earth is spherical in shape.

There is no a priori knowledge that we are born with. We know very little when we are born - so we must learn almost everything we know from our teachers.//The question is: what are the valid means of knowledge?//
//
/

  * /Sense perception/
  * /Inference./