 Perhaps the "aliens" were from the "Land of the Veda". ;-)

 Perhaps, but I'm thinking Xenu on a rampage while on his way to deliver our
souls to Earth before killing us in a volcano so we could reincarnate with our
karma all disturbed. Don't know what he had against the Martians though. Maybe
Dr Brandenburg's speech will shed some light on it. Or maybe he's just
bonkers....