This "Cephus" is just setting up a straw man; then knocking him down and
feeling pleased with himself. Just take a look at Richard Dawkins debating with
the (former) Archbishop of Canterbury at Oxford University. You may or may not
think that Dawkins has the better of Rowan Williams but Williams is clearly
*not* stupid and doesn't employ any of the ten "statements" that Cephus
castigates.
 One issue that strikes me about the difference between Barry and myself is
that he's American; I'm English. And what kind of difference would that be?
Well, in the USA, religion (including fundamentalist versions) is big - indeed
it's big business. In the UK, religion is now marginal. It conjures up images
of well-meaning but ineffectual Anglican vicars with little input into current
societal changes.
 To me religion is harmless - rather sweet perhaps. To Barry the mention of
"religion" triggers memories of some unresolved trauma from his childhood or
adolescence. To Barry it's all about visceral emotion; to me it's all about
sweet reason and nuanced reflection.
 Here's Dawkins/Williams in civilized debate . . .
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2f5TA2nCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2f5TA2nCs

 One of the reasons I speak in such a derogatory way about God-believers here
is that I figure after centuries of them putting down non-believers all the
time (not to mention killing them, burning them at the stake, etc.) they should
get a taste of their own medicine. That, and the fact that I really DO consider
many God-believers pretty much as stupid as I say they are. :-)

 But every so often, it's probably good to present the point of view of a more
balanced atheist who has more compassion for the idiots trying to shout him
down than I have. Consider this my contribution to FFL in this respect...

 10 Stupid Things Theists Say to Atheists
http://bitchspot.jadedragononline.com/2013/10/09/10-stupid-things-theists-say-atheists/
 October 9, 2013
 by Cephus http://bitchspot.jadedragononline.com/author/admin/
 http://bitchspot.jadedragononline.com/author/admin/

http://bitchspot.jadedragononline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Say-Something-Stupid.jpg

 As atheists, we see this kind of thing all the time, really absurd things that
are said to us by theists in the midst of a debate or discussion that leave us
rolling our eyes.  This really isn’t intended so much for the atheist, but for
the theist, who really needs to understand that none of these things are going
to convince anyone of the validity of their arguments.  Maybe that’s okay with
them, but maybe, just maybe, they never realized just how pointless any of the
following statements actually are.

 It leaves me wondering if theists are really debating to come to a mutually
agreeable conclusion, or if they’re just “debating” to hear themselves talk or
see themselves type.

 And so, in no particular order, these are ten statements that I see routinely
from theists that are simply not helping your case, and why.

 10. I’ll pray for you…  This is totally and completely useless.  If you really
feel the need to talk to yourself about us, I suppose it’s your time to waste,
but this statement really comes off as a final flip of the finger to the
atheist when the theist has run out of other arguments.  It’s essentially “I’m
still right, so there!”  It appears to be childish, even if it’s sincere.  We
don’t want you to pray for us, we want you to  be able to defend your beliefs.
Maybe you should spend more time worrying about that.

 9.  The Bible says…  We don’t care what the Bible says.  In fact, we probably
know the Bible better than you do and not only the Bible, but many other
religious texts as well.  Often, that’s why we’re atheists, because we had the
courage and commitment to read the Bible and think about what it actually says.
 We don’t limit our knowledge to the words on the page though, we often know
why it’s there, where it came from and how it came to be accepted by your
religion.  We’ve engaged in higher criticism of your religious text and can
almost certainly show how and why your book isn’t trustworthy.  Don’t pretend
we’re not well-versed in what your book says, we are.

 8.  This website says…  This is probably even worse than the previous
statement because not only does it show that you think we’re not well-versed in
all of the standard apologetic arguments, it demonstrate that you are not. If
the best you can do is grab a claim off some apologist’s website or YouTube
video, there’s really no point in talking to you because clearly, you don’t
understand the argument well enough to present your own take on it.  I don’t
care what William Lane Craig says, I’m not debating William Lane Craig, I’m
debating you.  Make your own arguments and understand what you’re saying
because I absolutely will attack the argument and expect you to defend it.

 7.  You can’t prove God doesn’t exist…  No I can’t, it’s not my job to do so.
It’s yours.  You’re the one claiming that God is real, it rests solely on your
shoulders to prove it.  After all, you can’t prove that Krishna doesn’t exist,
does that mean that the Hindus are right and Krishna does?  You can’t prove
that unicorns exist, does that make them real?  The burden of proof is always
on the individual who makes the positive claim.  Most atheists do not claim God
does not exist, they just reject your claim that he does based on lack of
corroboratory evidence.

 6. You really believe in God, but…  Theists make this statement to make
themselves feel better, it has no critical validity.  It is a form of the
argument from ignorance, where a statement is made, not because there’s
evidence that it’s so, but because the individual can’t come up with a better
argument.  You don’t want to believe that there are people out there who really
reject your deity, thus you imagine that nobody actually does, they’re all
lying.  That’s just not the case.

 5.  I know God is real!  No you don’t, you *BELIEVE* God is real.  Knowledge
requires some demonstrable basis.  You can no more say you know God is real
than you can say you know unicorns are real because you have no evidence to
present in either case.  Claims of knowledge do not impress unless you can show
us that you have any objective means of coming by that knowledge.

 4.  You’re not really an atheist, you’re…  an agnostic or some other term
which makes the theist feel better. For some reason, theists tend to feel
uncomfortable around the word “atheist”, mostly, I suspect, because it suggests
that there are people who reject the central tenet of their worldview.  They
don’t like that so they want to get around that word if at all possible.  There
are a couple of problems with that, however.  First, it’s not up to you to
decide what terms mean and/or what other people believe or do not believe.
Atheism is the lack of belief in the existence of gods.  If the shoe fits, stop
pretending that other people ought to wear sandals because it makes you feel
better.  Secondly, it’s really not up to you to decide what terms people can
adopt for themselves.  If I want to call myself an atheist, I can call myself
an atheist.  I have no obligation to choose another term because it softens the
blow on you.

 3. If you don’t believe, you’ll go to hell…  This is utterly pointless, we
don’t believe hell exists.  You might as well be threatening us with Hogwarts.
Hell, to us, is no more real than the Greek underworld, heaven is no more real
than Valhalla.  If someone approached you and said that if you don’t accept
Odin as your personal lord and savior, you’d be sent to Helheim, to be punished
by the Norse goddess Hela for all time, would that bother you?  If not, then
you understand why Hell doesn’t bother us.  Save your breath.

 2.  I have evidence for God…  Then by all means, present it, you’ll be famous
and a multi-millionaire, the first person to ever present actual evidence for
the existence of any god.  Oh wait, that’s not what you really mean, is it?
You have *CLAIMS* about God.  You have *ASSERTIONS* about God.  You have
*BELIEFS* about God.  You have no evidence though.  This is one of those wiggle
words that we see from theists all the time, like “knowledge”, it’s something
that’s claimed, but once you really get down to the nuts and bolts, it’s
totally false.  There isn’t any evidence for God that has heretofore been
presented, just like there isn’t any evidence that has been presented for
Bigfoot or alien visitations.  If you’ve got some, present it, but it had
better be more than “this convinced me”. That doesn’t mean it will convince
anyone else.

 1. You can’t take away my faith!  Nobody can “take” anything away from you,
atheist mind control technology is still in it’s experimental stages and won’t
be ready for testing until early 2015.  If you lose your faith, that’s on you,
but let’s be honest, faith really isn’t a rational way of looking at the world
anyhow.  Besides, your faith is meaningless to us, we don’t want to take it
away, we want you to deal with reality as it actually is.  So far, if you
believe in an unseen and unproven god, you’re not doing that.  You can argue
that point all you like, but I’m sure that argument will fall into one of the
above categories.  Don’t have faith.  Don’t believe.  THINK!

 So what about some things that you should say or do in a debate?  I’ll give
you my short list:

 1.  Know your argument.  If you don’t know what you believe or what you’re
trying to prove, how do you think you’ll manage it?  I don’t want to hear what
someone else thinks, I want to know what you think and I want you to prove to
me that you have a functional understanding of your claims and have worked out
in your head, logically and rationally, how it’s supposed to operate.

 2. Know your source material.  Again, this means prepare your arguments and
get your ducks in a row.  If you want to claim that the Bible is the source of
your information, be ready to defend the Bible’s validity with more than “I
believe it”.

 3.  Understand proper debate techniques.  Most theists stumble blindly from
one logical fallacy to the next, they don’t understand how to properly
construct arguments or build logical syllogisms.    Learn how to move from one
segment of your claim to the next in a logically demonstrable fashion.  Avoid
absurd leaps of irrationality, say, from making a claim to asserting a cause
unless you can actually demonstrate a direct link between the cause and the
effect.

 4.  Stop being so emotional.  The purpose of a debate is to reach a conclusion
based on the evidence and the best delivered argumentation.  How your position
makes you feel is entirely irrelevant.  I’m interested in how you come to your
conclusions, not how your conclusions make you feel.

 5.  Be ready to concede defeat.  If you lose, lose graciously.  Your claims
are only as good as your evidence and your arguments.  If you are emotionally
unable to evaluate your claims intellectually, don’t bother debating, you’re
just going to look foolish.

 6.  Be ready to change your mind if you lose.  This is the most important part
and the hardest one theists have in accepting.  You, as an intellectual,
rational and logical individual, ought to want to believe as many factually
true things as possible and reject as many factually false things as possible
and know how to differentiate between the two.  Unfortunately, as in point #4,
most theists don’t really care if what they believe is true, they have an
emotional attachment to their arguments and when it comes to rejecting
heartfelt beliefs or ignoring evidence, virtually all theists will clench their
eyes shut, stick their fingers in their ears and scream “I’m right! I’m right!
I’m right!”  This is a problem and a serious one at that.  It separates the
metaphorical philosophical men from the philosophical boys.  It reveals who is
willing and able to deal with reality and who would prefer to curl up inside
their comforting fantasy world and pretend everything is going to be alright.

 If you’re not someone who can put aside your feelings and deal with the facts,
who will overlook the evidence if it gets in the way of the blind faith, then
you have no business pretending to do so, you have no business trying to debate
with educated and intellectual atheists.  We’ve been there.  It’s how we got
where we are today.  We put in the legwork, we did the math and we came to
conclusions because we weren’t afraid to follow where the actual evidence led.

 Maybe one of these days, you’ll be willing to do the same, even if it doesn’t
lead to your religious convictions.

  • [FairfieldLife]... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • [Fairf... 'Richard J. Williams' pundits...@gmail.com [FairfieldLife]