I've done my homework in this field and *was* a TM teacher but also studied with an authentic Indian tantric starting in early 2000. Plus I've been to India and have also discussed this issue with others who are expert in these matters. I gave examples of Arthur Avalon (Woodroffe) to show that the mantras were published in the west before Maharishi was even born. BTW, I also have read the published doctoral thesis about Woodroffe's life and the writer opines that much of his writings was not his work but of his Indian friend and tantric who was not allowed to publish under British rule.

I also like to refer to Sivananda's "Mind Its Mysteries and Control" which you can find online to point out the method of meditation TM uses with the mantras is nothing new either as that work was first published in 1936.

Thing is that TM uses beej mantras because they don't need any empowerment. The puja helps but Indian astrologers and ayurvedic practitioners hand them out to clients without any elaborate initiation.

I don't think anyone knows for sure where the beej mantras came from. Those are lost in antiquity and undoubtedly commonly in use even at the time of Shankara.

TM followers like to glorify it but TM is really just "yoga lite".

Hope that helps.