Although all this was around before - something Maharishi openly admitted - his
genius was that he took the knowledge, systematized it, and made it globally
available, with TM.

 This happens all the time with knowledge - I was reading about Man Ray's
(Emmanuel Radnitzky) work in photography, and many of the techniques he used
had been discovered previously, but no one before had popularized them, and
made them accessible.

 I've done my homework in this field and was a TM teacher but also studied with
an authentic Indian tantric starting in early 2000.  Plus I've been to India
and have also discussed this issue with others who are expert in these matters.
 I gave examples of Arthur Avalon (Woodroffe) to show that the mantras were
published in the west before Maharishi was even born.  BTW, I also have read
the published doctoral thesis about Woodroffe's life and the writer opines that
much of his writings was not his work but of his Indian friend and tantric who
was not allowed to publish under British rule.

 I also like to refer to Sivananda's "Mind Its Mysteries and Control" which you
can find online to point out the method of meditation TM uses with the mantras
is nothing new either as that work was first published in 1936.

 Thing is that TM uses beej mantras because they don't need any empowerment.
The puja helps but Indian astrologers and ayurvedic practitioners hand them out
to clients without any elaborate initiation.

 I don't think anyone knows for sure where the beej mantras came from. Those
are lost in antiquity and undoubtedly commonly in use even at the time of
Shankara.

 TM followers like to glorify it but TM is really just "yoga lite".

 Hope that helps.

 On 11/22/2014 01:14 PM, Tormod Kinnes tkinnes@... mailto:tkinnes@...