My first car was a Ford station wagon which is cracked the block on because I didn't have enough coolant in it. That was 1968. Then a Corvair that got stolen. Then a Chevy which about fell apart as I went to trade it in for a new Datsun wagon in 1973. That new wagon was only $1800. All were automatics. My first Subaru was a wagon in 1977, cost $2700 and was a 5 speed stick. Drove like a sports car but on a trip with my mother who learned on a stick found she no longer knew how to drive one. So my second Subaru wagon, a used one, cost $10k, and was an automatic. I only got the Forester in 1998 to have something even more reliable and may a bit more fashionable. The first two were only front wheel drive and I've only had occasion to use the AWD once when I turned around and drove there mud at the side of the road. AWD adds weight to a car and means lower gas mileage. Might be good though given the idiot drivers around here who can't drive in the rain.

I bought station wagons to carry drum kits but I've never carried my kit in the Forester. And I know I'm not the only Subaru owner on this group. ;-)