If I boil this down, there is a familiar, and tiresome, challenge here - Is
Jim's enlightenment real? Specifically his reports of 24/7 silence? Can the two
even be equated?

 Here is my esteemed answer: Who cares? I don't. I've written volumes about my
experience, far more than the snippet below. Knock yourself out dude, trying to
prove my enlightenment, one way or the other.

 My point has always been that enlightenment is achievable, by anyone, using
the techniques of TM and the TM Sidhis. If I can do it, anyone can.
Enlightenment is a natural state of consciousness.

 That's the point. Now, stay on point -

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 This is in regard to the faux enlightenment call that Barry makes in regard to
Jim. Now I do not know what Barry experiences, or what Jim experiences, but
Barry always seems to me more in control of what he says than Jim. At any rate
the exchanges between these two would not probably pass muster as a discussion
that had anything to do with enlightenment, but Barry is not claiming that this
is what it is about, while Jim seems to be promoting the exchange as a
demonstration of enlightenment (Jim) versus ignorance (Barry).

 Jim said the following (emphasis in the original):

 "Enlightenment" is simply defined as life, accompanied by eternal and deep
silence, Being, during any state of consciousness. End of story. There are no
automatic attributes beyond that, as the universe takes care of the rest.
Anyone can gain enlightenment, and with that, their individuality will always
express enlightenment. To try for some sort of personal algorithm beyond that,
is a fool's errand; better to focus on your own path, than try to come up with
any comprehensive list of personal attributes. Silence in activity, always.
Period.

 In the following the first four paragraphs are an edited down version of an
essay by a Vedantist. The rather short attention span of most of the readers on
FFL is the reason for the edits.

 'Many teachers promote one of the most famous myths, that silence is somehow
the ultimate teaching. While understanding the nature of the self in silence
apparently finishes seeking for a few individuals, silence is certainly not
superior to the skillful use of words in bringing about enlightenment. This is
so because silence is in harmony, not in conflict, with self ignorance, as it
is with everything.'

 'One can sit in silence without instruction for lifetimes and never realize
that one is the silence. Knowledge, however, which is a legitimate means of
knowledge, destroys self ignorance like light destroys darkness. Additionally
no experience, including the experience of silence, can change thinking
patterns.'

 'An experience of non-duality may temporarily suspend thought or increase
one's resolve to see oneself as limitless awareness, but the notion that the
"I" is limited, inadequate, incomplete and separate is hard wired. It is only
by diligent practice of the knowledge "I am limitless, ordinary awareness and
not this body-mind" that the mind's understanding of reality gets in line with
the nature of the self.'

 'Why are binding desires such a major problem for anyone seeking
enlightenment? Because they disturb the mind to such a degree that contact with
the self as it reflects in the mind is broken, making self inquiry impossible.
It is contemplation on the reflection of the self in the mind that allows the
intellect to investigate the self in line with the teachings of self inquiry
and gain the knowledge "I am the self."

 Some notes here: Anyone who happens to be a Buddhist needs to substitute
another word for self in the above discussion, as the central feature of
Buddhism is there is no self, meaning the individual self, person, that people
think they are. Whereas in the above discussion, self refers to unbounded
awareness. Now in Maharishi's schema, transcendental consciousness cannot count
as unbounded awareness because in TC you have no thought and the concept
'unbounded awareness' cannot be formulated, the concept is formulated once back
in ordinary waking as a description of that state as it is remembered and
compared to waking.

 Cosmic consciousness, also in Maharishi's scheme, is silence that accompanies
activity, but it is walled off from the activity, so this cannot be unbounded
awareness either, as it does not penetrate into the world of the senses, it is
bound by this separation, and neither does more enhanced sensory experience add
anything to the equation.

 Now even unity, where objects are appreciated in terms of 'I', that sense of
'I am that' still shows a lingering sense of separated identity, fragmentation,
and decoherence of experience, otherwise it would not be necessary to say there
is an "I" in relation to 'that'. For experience to be 'unbounded' the essential
value of existence has to be equally present at every aspect of experience all
the time as that experience. This is actually a no brainer, because ignorant or
enlightened, the essential value of existence is always present as the
experience, so it is something one has always known. That is, enlightenment
does not bring anything new into experience. The things you do to get
enlightened obviously do have a sometimes profound influence on experience, but
enlightenment itself is nothing new under the sun.

 It is also open to question whether the silence ascribed to enlightenment is
really silence. The absence or reduction of mind chatter, does not necessarily
indicate one is enlightened, there are many situations that can lead to the
mind stopping and yet self ignorance remains. Partial awakening experiences can
do this, and while they reveal to the mind something of the nature of
enlightenment, they are not complete, and ignorance in the form of ego can
continue to promote itself under the banner of enlightenment, which has not
occurred, but which the mind mistakenly assumes has happened. Whatever
experiences one has had, to become the knowledge that is called enlightenment,
those experiences and their understanding have to be assimilated by the mind to
the extent that the mind has that knowledge always available during whatever
experience might be happening, because all the pre-existing states one has
experienced prior, however grand they might have seemed, are past history, they
are not there to interpret the currently happening experience.

 Were I to characterise Barry, I would say he is a terrorist in Beliefland. A
belief is the pretence you know something you do not know, an opinion, an idea
not supported by facts, unlike an informed belief which is more of an
hypothesis that can stand additional testing. Like balloons floating in Disney
World, mere beliefs, even if tightly held, are airy ideas that have no
substance, and Barry is the pin that attempts to pop the pretence. He seems to
me quite aware of the pernicious effects of mere opinion. My beliefs, your
beliefs, it does not matter to him. Popping beliefs is not always successful,
as beliefs may have very tough hides. I would say regarding beliefs about
enlightenment, that one of the worse is the idea that it can make you better
than someone else. Because everyone has exactly 100% of what is required for
enlightenment, this is not really possible.

 Because beliefs are the primary shield of the ego, and the ego is a fragile
fiction itself, the attempt to pry beliefs away is at the very least annoying
to the ego, and at worst terrifying, but here on FFL it is seldom, perhaps
never, that anything resembling the level of terror would arise from such a
process because everyone is mostly privately separated in time and distance and
only assailable through text and occasionally pictures.

 So here on FFL, if someone says x and says this is striking terror into the
heart of y, its baloney because it is not really threatening to the ego in this
situation. What Barry needs is an isolation chamber with some additional
accessories to put his subjects in so that their imaginary world could be more
subtlety disassembled. That's not going to happen, so FFL will continue to be
largely a forum where people complain about other people on the basis of
whatever opinion is floating in the mind at the time, and Barry will highlight
that particular stupid opinion, and the complaints will start flying.

 And what is my interest in all this? I am arbitrarily taking sides, without
stepping too far off the centre line. Since Barry is described as down and out,
barely hanging on, I view this as a medical intervention even if the supposed
ailment is a mistaken diagnosis, and I have no doctoral skills on top of that.
Since I have the gift of prophesy, based on the observation of habitual
occurrences, I predict Barry will continue to do what he does best, and that is
almost absolute.

  • [FairfieldLife]... emptyb...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • [Fairf... anartax...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • [F... steve.sun...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]