Yep, besides being an asshole, Barry is the pot calling the kettle black.

 On 11/23/2014 8:26 PM, anartaxius wrote:

 Were I to characterise Barry, I would say he is a terrorist in Beliefland. A
belief is the pretence you know something you do not know, an opinion, an idea
not supported by facts, unlike an informed belief which is more of an
hypothesis that can stand additional testing. Like balloons floating in Disney
World, mere beliefs, even if tightly held, are airy ideas that have no
substance, and Barry is the pin that attempts to pop the pretence. >
 It is difficult for Barry, or anyone else, to teach others how to abandon
their beliefs if they themselves have deep-seated beliefs of their own which
conflict with their own pedagogy. We all have beliefs and we all have an ego
that we protect. The problem with this teaching style is that it is easy to
lapse into hypocrisy.

 My style of teaching is similar to Barry's - every statement, when taken to
extremes, will be found to be self-contradictory. The difference being that I
want to talk about my own cognitive dissonance and beliefs.

 For example, a pretense that he witnessed Rama levitate up off of a sofa
hundreds of times, is an easy target because it is obviously contrary to common
sense, science and even to his own teaching. It was false  on it's face and a
mistake. Even more so when he is attempting to rid others of their beliefs! In
fact, this sort of claim is almost pure self-deception.

 To be confronted with one's own cognitive dissonance, at least for Barry,
seems to be the most terrifying threat possible - to the point that he seems to
be almost unable to discuss it with anyone. Barry is the loose pin that
unraveled due to his own hubris. Go figure.

        • [F... steve.sun...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • [F... anartax...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • [Fairf... 'Richard J. Williams' pundits...@gmail.com [FairfieldLife]
        • [F... fleetwood_macnche...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]