Buddha did not say seeing everyone in terms of enlightenment, he said seeing
everyone is in the enlightened state. That is the intent of the phrase. This
experience has a particular significance in parsing what enlightenment is.
There are many different perspectives one can experience when seeking
enlightenment, but in fact, no experience you have when seeking enlightenment
is enlightenment, though there might be a glimpse of what it might be like in
some way. But seeing that everyone is in the enlightened state is a critical
benchmark.

 Be that as it may, perhaps, because you said anyone can gain enlightenment,
and you seem to have that perceptual knack of insight, you could create a list
of everyone currently posting, and let us know where we are on the scale of
things enlightened. Obviously Barry and I and others that tend to vaguely
associate with each other are likely near the bottom of the barrel as far as
spiritual progress. You have been on the forum under various names for more
than twice as long as I have, so you should also have insights on some other
recent posters who are no longer with us.

 Sure, everyone is seen in terms of enlightenment, NOT that all beings are
enlightened - a ridiculous notion. So, for example, I see you as ignorant, and
have let you know what you must work on, to gain your enlightenment. Simple. It
is a different perspective, but, no, there is no magic.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 One of the things mentioned about Buddha's enlightenment is that at that
moment he said that 'all beings were simultaneously enlightened with his
awakening'. The phrase is translated in different ways but they all basically
say the same thing, that with awakening all beings were perceived as
enlightened.

 I presume Jim can clarify what this means.

          • ... feste37
    • Re: [Fai... awoelfleba...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • Re: ... fleetwood_macnche...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
  • [FairfieldLif... fleetwood_macnche...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]