From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...> wrote :

The Maharishi Effect has always, at least in the theoretical discussions, been
a "big numbers" effect that requires statistical analysis to catch.
It's rubbish in other words.
I was going to insert an edit and change the last word of Lawson's sentence
from "catch" to "fake."  :-)
It's still a weird moment when I run into someone who actually seems to believe
in the ME. It's like encountering an actual person who believes that the earth
is only a few thousand years old -- part of me is repulsed, like when you see
the geek in a traveling carnival show, but another part is so astounded that
someone can possibly believe this stuff that I can't look away.

People must be really, really desperate for attention to still be seeking
"credit" for saving the world by bouncing on their butts. It's as if they're
hoping someday their groupie status will be so big people will ask for their
autographs.

Speaking of autographs, I was somewhat subdued in my FFL posting yesterday
because I was still savoring the discovery that I got mentioned by name in
Bruce Cockburn's new memoir "Rumours Of Glory." It's just one paragraph
recalling a time we met briefly in Toronto, but it was good to know that he'd
actually read the piece I wrote it up in, and remembered it. For a Cockburn fan
that's like 15 seconds were added to my lifetime 15 minutes of fame, so I
understand the butt-bouncers' desire to have someone pat them on the back and
say, "Hey...great job saving the world!"   :-)
Hey, that's really cool! Good old Bruce.
I enjoyed the bits you posted from the "Rumours..." book, I'm thinking it might
make a good crimbo prezzie. Must pass the word round the family....

I've only just started reading it, but so far it seems quite wonderful. Bruce
is one of those rare musicians who can *talk* about his music as well as he can
write and play it. And as a spiritual being, he's had that rarest of lives, as
someone who actually walks his talk. I suspect it would make a great gift. Some
cover blurbs:
“This is the story of the development of one of the most astute and compelling
songwriters in the English language. Bruce Cockburn's journey, both as a
musician and a thinker, draws us with him into spiritual and political realms
and becomes a chronicle of his engagement in the major issues of the last
thirty years. Rumours of Glory is a highly personal account, by one whose quest
for expression engages the most important social questions of our time.”
(Jackson Browne)

Cockburn gives us a finely-grained account of the ground from which he
harvested some of the finest songs of his generation. (Lewis Hyde, author of
The Gift)

“Cockburn’s life story is the passage of a sonic rebel whose weapon is music.
In this beautifully written account we see and hear what it means to open
yourself to beauty and pain in every direction. Rumours of Glory is a fitting
soundtrack to an engaged life lived with purpose. It's a book for the wanderers
and the seekers, the philosophers and the fools, all the crazy saints and all
the wounded poets. Anyone who longs for a place of more joy and more justice, a
world powered by love.” (Bill Ayers, activist, educator, and author of Fugitive
Days and Public Enemy: Confessions of an American Dissident)

“This unusually absorbing book will enthrall Cockburn fans and anyone
interested in the life of a serious artist committed to his music and
progressive causes.” (Kirkus Reviews (starred review))

“Articulate, thoughtful, sweeping…. The virtues of Cockburn’s memoir are many.
A great artist explains, more fully than he has in the 40-year chronicle of his
lyrics, the tides and swirls of his fascinating life.” (Christian Century)

“While it has its share of rock ‘n’ roll stories (some of which are pretty
cool), the book is much more about the author’s music, his faith, his political
activism....he writes movingly about his religious faith, and the way it
changed over the years.” (Booklist)

“If the history of mankind were a song, Bruce Cockburn might have written
it….He is no longer holding back: ‘Rumours’ exposes the folds in his
relationships with women, the divine, various causes, music -- and marvelously
unpacks his songs like origami laid flat.” (San Jose Mercury News)

“Bruce Cockburn’s new memoir is beautifully and thoughtfully written; no
surprise, considering that the Canadian musician is one of best lyricists on
the planet…Cockburn’s songs stand the test of time. So will this memoir.”
(Lincoln Journal Star)

Finally, for those who don't know his music and thus don't recognize where the
title comes from, here is a video of him performing that song, which contains
my favorite description of Tantra ever written:

        You see the extremes
        of what humans can be
        and in that distance some tension's born --
        energy surging like a storm
        You plunge your hand in,
        you draw it back, scorched
        beneath it's shining like gold, but better --
        rumours of glory

Bruce Cockburn 2.15.14: Rumours of Glory

|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| Bruce Cockburn 2.15.14: Rumours of Glory |
|  |
| View on www.youtube.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

RUMOURS OF GLORY: Legendary singer-songwriter Bruce Cockburn delivers his
long‐awaited memoir | Bruce Cockburn

|   |
| RUMOURS OF GLORY: Legendary singer-songwriter Bru...RUMOURS OF GLORY:
Legendary singer-songwriter Bruce Cockburn delivers his long‐awaited memoir  |
|  |
| View on brucecockburn.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |