One more thing,

I was asked about sources by Michael Jackson (not dead):

The source is Dr. Raj R. P. Varma.

Elsa Dragemark (1972) tells from her training time in the Himalayan academy
of Maharishi:

Doctor Varma came to Guru Dev six months before Maharishi and knows more
about Guru Dev and Maharishi than any other person I have met.
During the time Doctor Varma was a disciple of Guru Dev he did not withdraw
from the world to live as a monk. . . . {p. 240]
Doctor Varma had been a practicing homeopath, but since he was now quite
old - I would think about sixty-five - he had closed his practice and
retired. When the academy was open he spent his time there  . . .
Fortunately Doctor Varma had not entirely abandoned his homoeopathic
practice - this to our great joy and benefit. . . .
      One did not necessarily have to be ill to go to Doctor Varma, one
could just as easily pay him a visit for no particular reason at all. {p.
241] . . .
            I did not always feel like talking nor for that matter did
Doctor Varma. Then I just wanted to sit there and watch how with soft,
graceful hand movements and brush strokes he mixed and applied paint to the
canvas - creating that, which would eventually depict Guru Dev on the
throne of the Shankaracharya. Guru Dev sat in the lotus position on the
carved and richly ornamented golden throne. In his right hand he held the
Shankaracharya staff while his left hand rested in his lap. He was dressed
in a bhakti-coloured - or translated into English orange-coloured - robe
and had heavy flower garlands around his neck. A pair of wooden sandals of
the simplest kind, placed in the foreground of the picture, made a touching
impression. They expressed modesty - yes, almost poverty in stark contrast
to the mighty one on the throne, whose inscrutable all-seeing gaze beheld
something distant -- in cosmos - while he at the same time scrutinized the
observer with penetrating eyes. The high forehead, glorified by wisdom and
holiness, was covered with an ochre-coloured sandal paste, giving coolness
to the highly developed brain. The sharply outlined mouth, surrounded by a
curly grey beard, bore witness of severity and firmness, but also of
endless compassion and love. The portrait really gave the impression of a
very alive personality.
      I asked Doctor Varma if it wasn't difficult to reproduce Guru Dev's
expression.
      He answered: "Yes, very. Nobody has yet succeeded, not even a
photographer has been able to capture and reproduce Guru Dev's expression,
but I do the best I can."
      Doctor Varma lowered his voice and added almost solemnly: "Those, who
have once seen Guru Dev's eyes can never forget them." {p. 242]

 CHAPTER 19, DOCTOR VARMA TELLS HOW MAHARISHI BECAME
GURU DEV'S DISCIPLE
—  It was when Guru Dev had come out from the jungle that I first met him.
Then he was not yet Shankaracharya. Guru Dev was the pure and holy man with
strict rules of life that he had been reputed to be. He was not interested
in acquiring disciples and was therefore extremely restrained on the
subject. In the 24 hours the public was only allowed to meet him for half
an hour. That was between six-thirty and seven o'clock at night. A
bramachary guarded his door.
      I came to the house where Guru Dev lived and asked the bramachary for
permission to enter and to sit at Guru Dev's feet, but he said:
— No, no don't be in such a hurry to see Guru Dev.
      I came evening after evening, but each time I was staved off in this
way.
      The bramachary asked everyone who came to see Guru Dev:
— What is your name? Do you desire to see Guru Dev?
      He made a note of the name after which he went to Guru Dev and asked
if such and such a person might have an audience.
      Guru Dev closed his eyes for a moment and answered either "Let him
come in" or "Ask him to leave", for by only knowing the visitor's name he
was able to tell what kind of person he was. . . .
      I was allowed to enter and sit at Guru Dev's feet . . . in 1939 - and
then I was also initiated. . . .
      Guru Dev visited Jabalpur six months later. It was then that
Maharishi first met Guru Dev. Maharishi had just then taken his degrees in
mathematics and physics at the university of Allahabad.

Maharishi: "We were a few men who had gone to visit Guru Dev. We sat
outside his door for a long time until we were finally admitted. We sat
down by the door which had been left open. Guru Dev sat in darkness. We
could only sense his presence - he didn't talk to us. Suddenly a car drove
by on the road and the headlights momentarily shone in through the open
door. For the first time I was able to see Guru Dev's face. Oh, it was a
wonderful sight! I have never seen anything so wonderful. Immediately I
experienced a deep reverence and devotion to him and I decided to do
everything in my power to be in his surroundings." {p. 257]

      Doctor Varma continued:
      A few days after Maharishi had seen Guru Dev for the first time he
returned and said:
      — I wish to be your bramachary. . . .
Guru Dev:
      -- If you want to become a bramachary you must have your parents'
permission. Without their permission you may not become a bramachary.
      It was difficult for Maharishi to convince his parents how very
important it was for him to be allowed to become a bramachary with {p. 257]
Guru Dev. But finally his father gave in and said to Guru Dev, "I give my
son permission to go to you." That same evening Maharishi left his home to
go to Guru Dev. Maharishi was now a young man of 23.

— What came to be the most deciding factor in his life I have already told
you - I mean the meeting with Guru Dev. Maharishi rose like a clear comet
on the spiritual firmament. He came to the ashram as a youth bubbling over
with mirth, full of energy and joy of living. He became so devoted to his
master in everything - yes, so devoted that he forgot himself. He gave
himself no time for food or drink - even less for sleep. At night he lay
down outside Guru Dev's door in order always to be available in case his
master needed him.
About half a year after Maharishi became a disciple of Guru Dev, Guru Dev
accepted the Holy Shankaracharya Throne of Jyotir Math in Badariashramam,
Himalaya. He was now called "His Holiness Swami Brahmananda Saraswati,
Maharaj, Jagad-Guru Bhagwan Shankaracharya of Jyotir Math". Guru Dev was at
this time 73 years old and the year was 1941. {p. 259]

Maharishi on Guru Dev: "His Darshan (Divine Look) made people feel as if
some ancient Maharishi from the Upanishads had been reborn and that it was
worth while to lead a good life and to strive to realize the Divine."

  Dr. Varma, continuing: "Thirteen years and seven months had now elapsed
since the day that Maharishi joined Guru Dev. During these 13 years
Maharishi had often lived as a hermit for long periods. This part of his
training would be put to good use."
     "Maharishi accepted Guru Dev's last wish as his guiding line and
life-task." [p.262] . . .
      Maharishi's task was now to reunite man with his origin - with Truth,
revive that, . . . and perfect a technique which was suitable to everyone
who lived an extrovert life, according to Dr Varma .
      "Maharishi left for Uttar Kashi, for the place where Guru Dev had
lived as a hermit during the time he was a disciple of Swami Krishanand
Saraswati. There in a cave in the "Valley of the Saints", in the Himalayas,
Maharishi dwelt in solitude and developed that technique which he would
eventually call transcendental meditation and which would prove to be the
way to fulfilment for so many, many people all over the world.
      The technique behind transcendental meditation is founded on the
natural tendency of the mind to be drawn towards satisfaction in all
spheres of life. That is to say, one turns the attention inwards for a
while and then, when the mind is charged with energy and creativity, the
wish, the will and the ability will be again to turn one's attention
outwards towards a useful life in society.
      Three years passed before Maharishi had developed the method, just as
uniformly simple as Guru Dev had wished.
      It was with eagerness that Maharishi after these three years left his
cave in the "Valley of the Saints" and set out to see if his method was
effective or not. He wanted to ascertain whether his method really could
give the people what he wished and intented.
      He set out for Kashmir. In Phalgam, not far from the capital city of
Srinagar, Maharishi took his first disciples.
      The joy and satisfaction he must have known, when through them he
received confirmation that transcendental meditation worked well, is not
difficult to imagine. It not only worked effectively, but it immediately or
after a short time of practice gave astounding results.
      Maharishi stayed in Phalgam for two months. This was in 1956." {p.
263]

Enjoy!

--
Tormod Kinnes