On 11/29/2014 6:03 PM, eustace wrote:

Stochasticity (a wonderfully slippery and smarty-pants word for randomness),

Thanks for the information, Eustace, but I'm not at all convinced that things happen by chance or at random - according to science, everything happens for a reason - the law of cause and effect. All things fall down. We could all be mistaken about this, but it's been my experience that /human excrement always flows downstream/, without exception.

may be at the very foundation of our lives. To understand how big a role it plays, we look at chance and patterns in sports, lottery tickets, and even the cells in our own body.

Along the way, we talk to a woman suddenly consumed by a frenzied gambling addiction, meet two friends whose meeting seems to defy pure chance, and take a close look at some very noisy bacteria.

Listen to the story:

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/audio4.wnyc.org/radiolab/radiolab091109.mp3

Stochasticity <http://www.radiolab.org/story/91684-stochasticity/>

image <http://www.radiolab.org/story/91684-stochasticity/>

Stochasticity <http://www.radiolab.org/story/91684-stochasticity/>
How stochasticity -- a wonderfully smarty-pants word for randomness -- drives our lives,...

<http://www.radiolab.org/story/91684-stochasticity/>

Preview by Yahoo

  • [FairfieldLife]... eustace10679