Your message has made my day! If you have any other recollections of the
filming of Eyes Wide Shut do share them.
 Although Eyes Wide Shut was talked down by the critics I really loved it (I've
seen the movie three times so far). The sexual paranoia that pervades the film
really appeals. But to learn that the house where the sex party/rites scene was
shot has at least a tenuous link to Maharishi's Mentmore Towers means that I
myself can fantasize that I have at least a flimsy connection to the sinister
cult portrayed!

 Until you mentioned it, I hadn't realised that the orgy scene was set to a
recitation of The Bhagavad Gita . This is getting better and better! The icing
on the cake would have been if they had used MMY's translation (!).
Unfortunately I just Googled the details and it turns out that Hindus objected
to the use of the Gita (on the film's original release) and it was cut from the
movie you can see on DVD today. (There's some chanting earlier in the scene
which is a Catholic text played backwards! I've pasted a link below.)
 The original Sanskrit recitation that Kubrick intended (damn Warner Brothers
for getting cold feet and deleting it!) read:

 "Parithranaya Saadhunam Vinashaya cha dushkrithaam Dharmasamsthabanarthaya
Sambhavami yuge yuge"

 which means:

 "For the protection of the virtuous, for the destruction of the evil and for
the firm establishment of Dharma (righteousness), I take birth and am
incarnated on Earth, from age to age."

 Re Mentmore Towers: say what you like but MMY knew how to pick some prime real
estate. Beautiful building and grounds.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTwRRwUb4IE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTwRRwUb4IE

Thanks, it's most interesting to see all the Masonic symbolism that I didn't
notice before. Or is it not realy there and we are just getting a power of
suggestion thing now that it's been pointed out?

 I haven't watched it all yet but I can add a bit to the Rothschild story. The
house the orgy scene from Eyes Wide Shut was filmed in was indeed a Rothschild
home but the one shown at 3.31 is Mentmore Towers, owned by the TMO at the
time, and not the same one where the actual sexy bits were filmed.

 Kubric was apparently a bit of a character and wanted to knock down the main
supporting wall inside Mentmore because he wanted the room to be 20 feet
larger! The guy in charge of location work said that, of course he could knock
the wall down as long as he rebuilt it perfectly! Even Kubrick balked at that
idea and ended up moving to the Rothschild house down the road to complete the
filming, only using the exterior shots of our pad in the final cut.

 The Rothschild's had loads of homes, they thought it would be a wheeze to be
able to see them all from each other, and you can indeed see each one from the
grounds of next. Hard life.

 Everyone at the Towers was upset when they heard that the orgy scene was set
to someone reciting the Bhagavad Gita. Great place to live though, I really
enjoyed the filming work there, I remember bumping into  John Thaw when I was
going to breakfast once, and I opened the door to Michael Cain when he was
filming "Quills" about the Marquis De Sade. Gave a bit of colour to the day!
They were both really friendly and didn't mind us watching them acting.

 The director of "Quills" was overjoyed with Mentmore, he said he could film
the grandiose palace scenes in the main hall and the seedy brothel scenes in
the staff quarters. LOL!

  • [FairfieldLife]... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [Fairfield... salyavin808
      • [Fairf... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]