 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

 The "Kubrick film" I find most revealing in terms of what I didn't like about
him as a writer and a director wasn't even filmed by Kubrick. He wrote the
screenplay but died before making the film, so it was created as a tribute by
Steven Spielberg, and called "A.I." For me, this film pinpoints Kubrick's
biggest weakness -- he really didn't "get" human beings...how they think and
act, and what makes them tick. He was so stuck in his own head that the things
he came up with as plots often felt so *false* as to be unbelievable.

 The example in "A.I." is that ostensibly (according to the voiceover
introduction and Kubrick's script) the film was all about, "Can a robot feel
love?" Yet if you watch the movie and pay attention, the entire movie is the
robot obsessing about whether anyone loves *him*. Kubrick never noticed.

 I never saw it, but did hear that Spielberg added a lot of shmaltz to it, but
maybe it would have been unbearable to me anyway even without anything extra
from a seasoned emotional manipulator like Spielberg.

 I do think that Kubrick's oddly disconnected style of super-controlled film
making suited futuristic things. I really like "A Clockwork Orange", it's a
shame enough other people didn't get it to the extent that he had to remove it
from release himself. I heard a girl actually got raped by people dressed like
the Droogs in the film. Talk about missing the point...

 Agreed that his style was better suited to portraying robots than humans, and
thus better suited to scifi. Re "missing the point" about the gang rape scene
in "A Clockwork Orange," the worst part about your story is that I heard that
the wife of Anthony Burgess, author of the original novella Kubrick based the
film on, really was gang-raped during the blackout in London. That event and
its aftermath is what caused Burgess to write the novella.

Oh dear, I didn't know that. That would explain his justification for the
ending.

 It's funny, I always thought that most people didn't get the point of the
film. Most see it as a warning about state mind control but it always seemed to
me to be about the difference between social and personal vengeance. That the
state don't have the right to let emotions dictate policy and treatment of
prisoners, but people can't help themselves from acting out how they feel -
especially when confronted with the fact they are fighting for the rights of
someone who committed grievous harm on them and their own.

 Kubrick never talked about his reasons for making the film, which is proper as
it makes it more philosophical for the viewer. I consider it an artistic
success but hope I'm not alone in finding it to be hilarious in a dark "Itchy
and Scratchy" kind of way....

  • [FairfieldLife]... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [Fairfield... salyavin808
      • [Fairf... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]