It would have been a boon if the lander had landed upright and attached itself
to the comet so when the comet approached the sun, it could measure the
sublimation of gases from the surface instead of from afar, and measured other
surface changes on site. I am not sure photography would have added much beyond
the initial landing images, but out-gassing of a comet's tail has been
photographed close up before from other spacecraft and this is something the
Rosetta orbiter will do because it has a much better viewpoint.

 This is from my friend who works on this project for the ESA:

 Rosetta continues into its full science phase
http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Operations/Rosetta_continues_into_its_full_science_phase

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Operations/Rosetta_continues_into_its_full_science_phase

 Rosetta continues into its full science phase
http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Operations/Rosetta_continues_into_its_full_science_phase
 With the Philae lander’s mission complete, Rosetta will now continue its own
extraordinary exploration, orbiting Comet 67P/Churymov–Gerasimenko during the
co...

 View on www.esa.int
http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Operations/Rosetta_continues_into_its_full_science_phase
 Preview by Yahoo