On 12/11/2014 10:41 AM, seerdope wrote:

Vashista Yoga
Ashtavakra Gita ( conversation with King Janaka of same era)
Planetary positions in Ramayana place birth of Rama place at around 5114 BC
Long oral tradition preceding Vashista

Thanks for the comment, but the key word in my essay, which you snipped, is /recorded history - /anything before that is considered to be pre-history or legendary and is based on conjecture. There may have been an oral tradition, and Lord Rama may have lived over a million years ago, but I have serious doubts that Lord Rama, if he even existed, lived before the invention of civilization.

According to what I've read, the Yoga Vasistha comes from a particular school of Advaita Vedanta which is represented by the term "Ajatavada", a term coined by the first Acharya of Advaita, Gaudapada. The Vasistha propounds the theory of "consciousness only" - that the universe was never created, things do not move about, change is impossible, and that nothing was ever originated or emerged. The world of names and forms is just an illusion - consciousness is the only Reality.

/"So, neither the universe, nor you, nor I were ever created. In fact, we do not exist..."/

Work cited:

*The Concise Yoga Vasistha*
By Swami Venkatesananda
SUNY Press, 1884
Page 159

/Mahesh Yogi with Swami Venkatesananda Saraswati at Rishiksh, 1967/
  • [FairfieldLife]... 'Richard J. Williams' pundits...@gmail.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [Fairfield... seerd...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]