Clay" and was about to turn it into a major film.

 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

 A little background, for those who might be tempted to believe that French mag
Charlie Hebdo only made fun of Muslims. Not true...they were (and in all
likelihood will continue to be) equal opportunity blasphemers. Good for them...

 It all reminds me of the trouble we had in England with Sikhs when a Sikh girl
- who was abused as a child by an elder at her temple - wrote a play about the
experience. Hordes of angry Sikhs attacked the place and forced the play to be
cancelled.

 There were lots of highly disturbing letters - and even a Sikh on the BBC's
flagship discussion show - claiming that they were a peaceful people until
their religion is insulted and then they are not responsible for their actions.

 Which is chilling enough on its own because not being responsible for your
actions is how we define insanity in the civilised world, but what was worse is
that no one was arguing against this "right" to destroy to protect their point
of view. Even the chair of BBC's Question Time let the matter go. You simply
can't have people claiming immunity for their actions based on their beliefs,
where would it end?

 I can't believe it was 10 years ago either:

 "Mohan Singh, from the Guru Nanak Gurdwara in south Birmingham, an
organisation of Sikh temples, said the theatre should have heeded the concerns
of Sikh representatives before the protests turned violent but denied that the
protesters had attempted to stifle free speech.
 He said: "Free speech can go so far. Maybe 5,000 people would have seen this
play over the run. Are you going to upset 600,000 thousands Sikhs in Britain
and maybe 20 million outside the UK for that?"
 "Religion is a very sensitive issue and you should be extremely careful."
 This morning the theatre could be seen with its windows boarded up after
protestors smashed the front entrance and backstage equipment on Saturday
night."

 Play axed after Sikh protests
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/dec/20/arts.religion1

 http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/dec/20/arts.religion1

 Play axed after Sikh protests
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/dec/20/arts.religion1 The Birmingham theatre
attacked this weekend in a violent protest by Sikhs today announced it was
ending the run of a play that depicts murder and rape in ...

 View on www.theguardian.com
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/dec/20/arts.religion1
 Preview by Yahoo

 Charlie Hebdo has had more legal run-ins with Christians than with Muslims
http://qz.com/322550/charlie-hebdo-has-had-more-legal-run-ins-with-christians-than-with-muslims/

http://qz.com/322550/charlie-hebdo-has-had-more-legal-run-ins-with-christians-than-with-muslims/

 Charlie Hebdo has had more legal run-ins with Christians...
http://qz.com/322550/charlie-hebdo-has-had-more-legal-run-ins-with-christians-than-with-muslims/
 The magazine is not anti-Islam as much as it is anti-religion and broadly
anti-establishment.

 View on qz.com