 Well we certainly wouldn't want those untouchables and other lower castes
running off and joining another religion. Who would we look down our noses at?

Right.I think Ravi is just being opportunistic here, being one of the
televangelistic gurus in India, he simply appeals to the main stream Hindu
oppinion. Interestingly enough, the father of the Indian constitution Dr.
Ambedkar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._R._Ambedkar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._R._Ambedkar who was a dalit himself converted
to Buddhism, and actually founded the modern Buddhist movement in India Dalit
Buddhist movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalit_Buddhist_movement You will see his statue
in almost every Indian village. Unfortunately his plan, to make Buddhism again
a leading religion in India, and basically make all dalits convert to it, never
took off, soon after his conversion he died. On SSRS part, this whole thing is
pure hypocrisy. Ambedkar invented a system of quotas, to allow low caste
Indians to study, I know high caste Indians who converted to Christianity just
to be able to study medicine. They never become Christians really, and
everybody knows by their name, which caste they belong to. If SSRS really
wanted to reduce conversions, he should propose something more effective to
abolish the caste system.

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalit_Buddhist_movement

 Dalit Buddhist movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclo...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalit_Buddhist_movement The Dalit Buddhist
movement (dubbed as Navayana by certain Ambedkerites)[1] is a 19th and
20th-century Buddhist revival movement in India. It received its most...

 View on en.wikipedia.org https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalit_Buddhist_movement
 Preview by Yahoo