Bummer! Talk about depressing. Go figure.

"Stay away from most popular entertainment. Most of what passes for legitimate
entertainment is inferior or foolish and only caters to or exploits people's
weaknesses.

Avoid being one of the mob who indulges in such pastimes. Your life too short
and you have important things to do. Be discriminating about what images and
ideas you permit into your mind. If you yourself don't choose what thoughts and
images you expose yourself to, someone else will, and their motives may not be
the highest.

It is the easiest thing in the world to slide imperceptibly into vulgarity. But
there's no need for that to happen if you determine not to waste your time and
attention on mindless pap." - Epictetus

 I took a chance just because of Eliza Dushku and Garret Dillahunt, and found
that it was obviously
graphic-novel-inspired-weirdness-for-the-sake-of-weirdness, and even darker
than you suggest. Not exaclty enjoyable, but tolerable.

But since you're into "Not For Buck" films, I should recommend one that that
was, if anything, MUCH darker than "The Scribbler," but really, really, really
well done. It was nominated for an Oscar for its cinematography, and was *so*
well done that it earned its director Denis Villeneuve a gig as the director of
the "Blade Runner" sequel.

It's called "Prisoners," and has a pretty much dream cast for a small film that
makes its writer and director famous -- Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Viola
Davis, Maria Bello, Terrence Howard, Melissa Leo, and Paul Dano. Rated Even
Darker And More Not For Buck than the one you recommended, but in its way it's
brilliant.

 http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3294275865/
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3294275865/

 BUT, I did watch a neat little Hollywood indie film called "The Scribbler"
available on Netflix.  It's a sci-fi fantasy starring Katie Cassidy, Garret
Dillahunt, Michelle Trachenberg, Eliza Dushku, Michael Imperioli and Billy
Campbell. Directed by John Suits, it's a story about a young woman who uses an
experimental treatment called the Siamese Burn to remove her multiple
personalities.  Dark and rated "Not for Buck".

 http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70298344 http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70298344