At Sringeri, the principal deity, Saradambal, the Goddess of Learning, is a
focus of a mighty spiritual force - pure consciousness. According to my
informant, Saradamba, by all legendary accounts, is a deity of Kashmir who was
literally brought down to the south of India by the Adi Shankara. Tradition
says that Shankara installed the image, made of sandalwood, on a Sri Yantra
drawn by himself.

Mystic and Seer

 Apparently the 33rd Shankaracharya of the Sringeri Matha died before he could
give all the initiations to the 34th, his successor. However, the 33rd is
reputed to have said: "Worship of Sri Yantra is a must for the Swamis of the
peetha." Go figure.

Notes:

"Normally the Sri Vidya mantra initiation would be done by the guru, but
Narasimha Bharati had passed away before his disciple arrived at Sringeri.
Hence the mantropadesa was done by Srikanta Sastri. He had been initiated into
it by Narasimha Bharati Mahaswami the34th." The Pontiff's rein was from 1912 to
1953, so he was a contemporary of SBS. The 33rd. was Sri Narasimha Bharati
Mahaswami, making him a contemporary of SBS's guru, Swami Krishanand Saraswati.

 Nice explanation by David Frawely and re-iterates things I've said on FFL
about bija mantras (or "beej" as Indians pronounce it).   Bija mantras predate
Shankara as tantra was very popular in India around 300-600 CE.

 I've also mentioned that TM uses the bijas for the first technique because
anyone can teach them and the puja is even needed.  Also if you read the
explanation you may reason why they won't work for everyone.

 On 03/22/2015 07:13 AM, Michael Jackson mjackson74@... mailto:mjackson74@...