MJ,

 Mel Gibson said not to consider his movie as a historical documentary.  That
means he probably took artistic license to enhance his fictional work.

 Take your pick:

'Apocalypto' a pack of inaccuracies | The San Diego Union-Tribune
http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20061212/news_1c12mel.html

 'Apocalypto' a pack of inaccuracies | The San Diego Union-Tribune
http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20061212/news_1c12mel.html
SignOnSanDiego.com, San Diego's city guide to arts and entertainment
activities, events, bars, restaurants, hotels, shopping plus news, sports,
classifieds and visitor info.

 View on www.utsandiego.com
http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20061212/news_1c12mel.html
 Preview by Yahoo

 http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/12/061208-apocalypto-mel_2.html

 "Apocalypto" Tortures the Facts, Expert Says
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/12/061208-apocalypto-mel_2.html
Mass human death rituals, hidden jungle clans, stone killing columns—much of
Mel Gibson movie rings false to at least one Maya expert.

 View on news.nationalgeograph...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/12/061208-apocalypto-mel_2.html
 Preview by Yahoo

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x2969043

 Maya Archaeologist Distressed American's Review of Apoca...
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x2969043
 Maya Archaeologist Distressed American's Review of Apocalypto

 View on www.democraticunder...
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x2969043
 Preview by Yahoo

 "Apocalypto" Tortures the Facts, Expert Says
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/12/061208-apocalypto-mel_2.html

Maya Archaeologist Distressed American's Review of Apocalypto - Democratic
Underground
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x2969043