What it's based on is the long running idea that you actually don't spend your savings but live on the interest (non existent these days) or on dividends from investing that money. If I won a mil I'd pay off my mortgage as there's no reason to let the banksters make off with the interest they charge.

On 04/02/2015 12:17 PM, Michael Jackson mjackso...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:
that's just a meme someone came up with - depends on how old you are, how expensive your lifestyle, and how long you live. If you have one million and your expenses are around even $5,000 a month, that's 60 thousand a year. One million would last you 16.6 years. If you started off at 65 years of age, then you are 81 or so when the dough is gone. But if you died at age 76, let's say then your heirs get some swag.

*From:* salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
*To:* FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
*Sent:* Thursday, April 2, 2015 3:02 PM
*Subject:* Re: [FairfieldLife] Get Lucky!

That should give them a little extra retirement money. In the US a million dollars doesn't go that far anymore. You need about 3-4 million dollars to retire properly unless inflation goes really berserk.

A little extra? Blimey, it must be tough over there. I suppose it depends on the sort of lifestyle you're used to. And all that health insurance can't be cheap...