Re "what gives?":

 It could signify a profound link between the Hebrew language, the seers who
wrote down those words, and the fundamental metaphysics of the universe - or it
could be an utterly trivial coincidence of sounds seized on by those desperate
to elevate their preferred sacred book above the general run.

 We have no idea who those original scribes were or of their state of
consciousness, and we have only hazy notions of how the text has been copied
and altered over the centuries.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <hepa7@...> wrote :

 The first prepositional phrase of the Hebrew Bible is b'reshit.
 It actually means in (b') [a] beginning (reshit). (There is no indefinite
article
 in Hebrew; with the definite article, that would be something like bareshit*
 (b' + ha [the] + reshit)).

 So the first two sounds of the Hebrew Bible are (next to) identical with
 the first two sounds of the Sanskrit word brahma(n).

 The second word of the Hebrew Bible is bara. It is so called qal perfect, we
 believe. In addition to 'he created', depending on context, it could also be
translated to 'he creates' (Hebrew verbs have a gender, as opposed to those of,
say, English), or 'he shall create'.

 We not  at all sure, but we think we once heard it claimed, that the basic
meaning
 of the verb root for 'bara' (ברא [from right to left: bet resh aleph])
 is 'to fill'. If that's the case, we thing the meaning is not that far from
that of the
 of the root for Sanskrit 'brahman', namely 'brh', which means 'to expand'.

 Blah, blah, blah, (what gives?)   : )

 * the Hebrew preposition b' is a prefix, not an isolated(?) word!