> Bush & the  Republican, House & Senate have consistently lowered your &  my
> federal tax bill  & that of our estate taxes  as well! So do NOT worry Mr
> Dixon. Your will NOT get his  tax return BULL. NO tax increases in
> legislation @
> present! Perhaps send  him ours after Clinton's  & increase in largest by %
> in
> Federal  U.S., history 92-93 yrs.& on Social security as  well!  This tax on
> the sale of stock assets & capitol gains was  made retro-active  & against
> 1000 yrs. of  comom law as well as the  federal Constitution.

SPIN AND TAXES! Krugman offers a useful point, counteracting a decade of
spinning:

TUESDAY, JUNE 8, 2004

SPIN AND TAXES: This week will be a time for tributes from those who admire
President
Reagan and his legacy. But whatever one thinks of the Reagan years, this week
could
present a chance to learn more about an important part of our recent history.
Many scribes
have begun to offer their views on aspects of the Reagan presidency. Paul
Krugman's
column in this morning's Times is a good-and useful-example.

"Ronald Reagan does hold a special place in the annals of tax policy, and not
just as the
patron saint of tax cuts," Krugman writes. Krugman notes that Reagan "followed
his huge
1981 tax cut with two large tax increases." Here's the skinny on Reagan Tax
Increase
number 1:

KRUGMAN: The first Reagan tax increase came in 1982. By then it was clear that
the
budget projections used to justify the 1981 tax cut were wildly optimistic. In
response, Mr.
Reagan agreed to a sharp rollback of corporate tax cuts, and a smaller rollback
of
individual income tax cuts. Over all, the 1982 tax increase undid about a third
of the 1981
cut; as a share of G.D.P., the increase was substantially larger than Mr.
Clinton's 1993 tax
increase.
We'll return to that highlighted point. For the record, here's Krugman's
description of
Reagan Tax Increase 2:

KRUGMAN: I'm referring to the Social Security Reform Act of 1983, which
followed the
recommendations of a commission led by Alan Greenspan. Its key provision was an
increase in the payroll tax that pays for Social Security and Medicare hospital
insurance.

For many middle- and low-income families, this tax increase more than undid any
gains
from Mr. Reagan's income tax cuts. In 1980, according to Congressional Budget
Office
estimates, middle-income families with children paid 8.2 percent of their
income in
income taxes, and 9.5 percent in payroll taxes. By 1988 the income tax share
was down to
6.6 percent-but the payroll tax share was up to 11.8 percent, and the combined
burden
was up, not down.
For those who don't want to do the math, Krugman's "middle-income families with
children" were paying a combined burden of 18.4 percent by 1988, up from 17.7
percent
in 1980. For these middle-class families, Reagan-who did reduce taxes
overall-had
actually raised their tax burden.

For many American consumers of "news," these facts might come as a surprise. As
we've
told you again and again, our modern press corps is fact-averse, but is very
much fable-
friendly. We're fed simple tales about every topic, including Reagan's effect
on taxes. With
that in mind, let's return to that point Krugman made about Reagan's 1982 tax
increase:
"[A]s a share of G.D.P., the increase was substantially larger than Mr.
Clinton's 1993 tax
increase." Presumably, Krugman included that fact today because he's familiar
with our
spin-driven cable discourse, in which President Clinton's 1993 increase is
routinely said to
have been "the largest tax increase in American history."

The spinning began almost instantly, driven by the foolish-and largely
uncorrected-
hyperbole which now defines our discourse. On May 2, 1993, David Rosenbaum
quoted a
leading Republican in the New York Times:

ROSENBAUM: "This is the largest tax increase in the history of the human race,
and it is
not appealing to us," said Representative Bill Archer of Texas, the top
Republican on the
[House Ways and Means Committee].
The largest in the history of the human race! On May 28, 1993, the Times'
Michael Wines
captured more of the clowning:

WINES: "The largest tax increase in the world," said Representative Deborah
Price, an Ohio
Republican.

"The largest tax increase in the history of civilization," anted Representative
Philip M.
Crane, an Illinois Republican.
Lenin and Mao never taxed so much! For that matter, Pharoah was off the hook
too! On
radio, of course, Rush Limbaugh was peddling such pap every day. In late May,
the Times
tried to introduce a few facts in an unsigned "scorecard" feature:

NEW YORK TIMES (5/28/93): The Congressional Budget Office, the official
scorekeeper in
such matters, estimates that the package will increase taxes by $270 billion
over five
years. That appears to make it larger than the 1982 tax increase, which raised
$215 billion
in new taxes over five years under President Ronald Reagan.

But if inflation is factored in, the Clinton package raises taxes less.
Viewed another way, the Clinton package would raise taxes in its fifth year by
slightly
more than 0.9 percent of gross domestic product. The Reagan tax increase ends
up being
larger because it increased taxes in its fifth year by 1.3 percent of gross
domestic product.
As everyone knows, it's pointless to compare budget costs across the decades
without
adjusting for inflation. On August 5, David Rosenbaum also laid out some facts:

ROSENBAUM (8/5/93): When the dollars are adjusted for inflation, this year's
budget bill is
neither the biggest deficit reduction measure nor the biggest tax increase in
recent years...

As for taxes, the 1982 law enacted under Ronald Reagan raised taxes by $215
billion over
five years, which amounts to $286 billion in 1993 dollars, considerably more
than this
year's figure.
And, of course, as Krugman notes, the Reagan increase was followed by Reagan
Tax
Increase 2. But so what? Two days before Rosenbaum's analysis appeared, Bob
Dole had
responded to an address by Clinton, saying the Man From Hope's budget plan was
"not
just the largest tax increase in American history, but the largest tax increase
in world
history." And uh-oh! Someone had penned a Times op-ed that same day. His name
was
Ronald Reagan:

REAGAN (8/3/93): [Clinton] knows Americans have always been kind and generous.
In war
and peace, they have been willing to make great sacrifices to serve a greater
good. Today,
the White House is trying to appeal to this great quality by getting us to go
along with the
largest tax increase in the history of our country.
Needless to say, Reagan was troubled by all the spinning. "Despite the slick
presentation,
talented spin doctors and White House talking heads all over TV, the simple
truth is that
this plan is bad for America," he good-naturedly said.

This is just a tiny part of the recent history of tax-increase-spinning. For
the record, we're
pretty sure that we saw Bob Dole, in recent years, acknowledge ruefully that
the GOP may
have exaggerated the size of Clinton's tax hike a bit. But we're darned if we
can find the
statement today. (Anyone know where he said it? We have an idea, but it won't
be on
Nexis.) So why did Krugman mention the fact that Reagan's 1982 increase was
actually
somewhat larger than Clinton's? Most likely, because this silly spinning
continues.
Clinton's "biggest tax increase in human history" is a silly staple of
pseudo-con spin. Just
last month, as a matter of fact, Sean Hannity made a comical adaptation. Here
he was on
April 16, trashing big-taxing John Kerry:

HANNITY: John Kerry has flipped and flopped on just about every issue...The
only issue he
is consistent on is voting for taxes. He voted for the two largest tax
increases in American
history, voted to raise taxes 350 times. And, you know, on every tax issue he's
wrong.
No, we're not sure what Hannity meant; at the time, the official Bush/Cheney
talking-point
only said that Kerry had voted for the one biggest increase. Was Hannity
comically
accusing Kerry of voting for Reagan's tax increase too? Of course, Kerry didn't
happen to
be in the Congress at the time of the Reagan increase, but Hannity didn't seem
to know
that. Here was another exchange from this same laughable program:

ELAINE KAMARCK: Well, first of all, you've got to start with the fact that John
Kerry has
been a deficit hawk from the word go. In the 80s-don't laugh at me. Do you know
that he
voted with President Reagan? In the 80s, he voted for the famous Gramm-Rudman
Act.
Not many Democrats did that.

HANNITY: Did he vote for the Reagan tax cuts?

KAMARCK: He voted for-

HANNITY: Did he vote for the Reagan tax cuts? No.
No he didn't, and neither did you. You weren't in the Congress then, and
neither was Ol'
Flip-Flip, John Kerry.

This week could be a time for tributes-and beyond that, it could be a time for
learning. But
the press corps rarely lays out facts when clowning clowns make a joke of your
discourse.
Today, Krugman offers some information. Expect it to end right there.

(Note: None of this has a thing to do with the merits of these different tax
increases. But
our discourse is rarely about the merits. Our discourse is about pleasing spin.)

VISIT OUR INCOMPARABLE ARCHIVES: In October 2003, conservative economist Bruce
Bartlett wrote a detailed review of Reagan's tax increases. For the record, he
referred to
Reagan's 1982 hike as "the largest peacetime tax increase in American history."
Incomparably, we quoted Bartlett at length. See THE DAILY HOWLER, 10/31/03.

Meanwhile, one last point on that Clinton increase. By the time Clinton's
budget plan
passed, Americans were deeply misinformed because of all the silly spinning. In
our
discourse, spin and dissembling almost always overwhelm the press corps' feeble
attempts
at clarification. Too see how little the voters knew, see THE DAILY HOWLER,
11/12/02. As
usual, American voters lacked the first clue. Our discourse tends to be like
that.

**********************************
Roundup: Talking About History
Paul Krugman: About Reagan's Tax Cuts

Paul Krugman, in the NYT (June 8, 2004):

Over the course of this week we'll be hearing a lot about Ronald Reagan, much
of it false.
A number of news sources have already proclaimed Mr. Reagan the most popular
president of modern times. In fact, though Mr. Reagan was very popular in 1984
and
1985, he spent the latter part of his presidency under the shadow of the
Iran-Contra
scandal. Bill Clinton had a slightly higher average Gallup approval rating, and
a much
higher rating during his last two years in office.

We're also sure to hear that Mr. Reagan presided over an unmatched economic
boom.
Again, not true: the economy grew slightly faster under President Clinton, and,
according
to Congressional Budget Office estimates, the after-tax income of a typical
family,
adjusted for inflation, rose more than twice as much from 1992 to 2000 as it
did from
1980 to 1988.

But Ronald Reagan does hold a special place in the annals of tax policy, and
not just as the
patron saint of tax cuts. To his credit, he was more pragmatic and responsible
than that;
he followed his huge 1981 tax cut with two large tax increases. In fact, no
peacetime
president has raised taxes so much on so many people. This is not a criticism:
the tale of
those increases tells you a lot about what was right with President Reagan's
leadership,
and what's wrong with the leadership of George W. Bush.

The first Reagan tax increase came in 1982. By then it was clear that the
budget
projections used to justify the 1981 tax cut were wildly optimistic. In
response, Mr. Reagan
agreed to a sharp rollback of corporate tax cuts, and a smaller rollback of
individual
income tax cuts. Over all, the 1982 tax increase undid about a third of the
1981 cut; as a
share of G.D.P., the increase was substantially larger than Mr. Clinton's 1993
tax increase.

The contrast with President Bush is obvious. President Reagan, confronted with
evidence
that his tax cuts were fiscally irresponsible, changed course. President Bush,
confronted
with similar evidence, has pushed for even more tax cuts.

Mr. Reagan's second tax increase was also motivated by a sense of
responsibility - or at
least that's the way it seemed at the time. I'm referring to the Social