nice one, Richard

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <richard@...> wrote :

 You've just described The Maharishi Effect. Now can you spell cognitive
dissonance? Thanks.

 The Rama guy I spent some time with had some interesting theories, some of
which I still lean in the direction of.

 One of them was that the universe is relational, not hierarchical.

"We know, if we drop a stone in a pond, the ripples begin to move, and they
move over the whole pond, reaching all the extremities. One slight stir in any
part of the pond stirs the whole pond, influences the entire field of water,
and its surroundings. Similarly, by every thought, word and action, every
individual is setting forth influence in his surroundings, and that influence
is not restricted to any boundaries. It goes on and on and reaches every level
of creation." - Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

TM Power: Tapping the untapped source of power that lies within
http://tinyurl.com/42ggy3y http://tinyurl.com/42ggy3y

To this day, I am SO down with this. Pretty much ALL of the problems with
spiritual practice can be traced back to that moment of mistaking the basic
nature of the universe as hierarchical, rather than relational.

According to what I've read, one of the demonstrable powers claimed by TM is
the "Maharishi effect." According to TM scientists: "collective meditation
causes changes in a fundamental, unified physical field, and...those changes
radiate into society and affect all aspects of society for the better"...

 Anyway, back to that "temporarily capable of ..." thing you mentioned, Rama
thought that the study of relational database was quite beneficial to people on
a spiritual path because to become good at it you have to be capable of holding
a huge, three-dimensional representation of a hunk of data -- and more
importantly the relationships *between* the different parts and types of this
hunk of data -- in your head. He likened being able to hold a complex corporate
database in your head to be this century's counterpart of Tibetan monks holding
whole, three-dimensional mandalas in their heads.

 I still agree with him about this. He may have been a crazy fuck, but he was
right about this one.