On Dec 2, 2005, at 7:10 PM, Rick Archer wrote:

> I don't think the term "incest" is overkill. The relationship
> between a guru
> and his disciples is, or can and should be, very profound and
> emotionally
> intimate. From my perspective, it is a sacred relationship and
> should be
> pure. It is ultimately the guru's responsibility to keep it that
> way, since
> he, by definition, should be "established" enough to be above
> temptation. If
> he is not, then he is not a first-rate guru, and is probably not
> qualified
> to guide others to enlightenment. If he violates the sacredness of the
> guru-disciple relationship, the psychic/spiritual harm it may do
> can easily
> be as damaging as incest.

Mature observation IMMO.

My take on the phrase "spiritual incest" is that, among spiritual
practitioners we are "spiritual family", therefore any sexual or
power violation of that sacred trust is a "spiritual incest". And, as
I've witnessed first hand, it has a similar impact on people as the
familial version.