unequivocally restrict the access of youth to nicotine products.
 ..and these hybrid strains of marijuana too.

 Yep, good science-based public policy going forward should unequivocally
restrict the access of youth to nicotine products.

 KANDEL: What we found is that when an animal was primed by nicotine and then
was exposed to cocaine, the effect of cocaine was amplified many times. RATH:
Dr. Kandel wants people to pay attention to their results. She says that given
how well nicotine primes the brain for addiction, she's concerned about reports
showing e-cigarette use among young people on the rise.

KANDEL: Because as we said, you know, nicotine is nicotine, whether it comes
from an e-cigarette or from a combustible cigarette, you end up with nicotine
in the brain.

 -JaiGuruYou!

 Re "Cigarette smoking demonstrates a profound lack of healthy spiritual
discipline":

 What about David Lynch?

 Hell - what about Nisargadatta Maharaj ? If anyone was enlightened he was -
and he was a lifelong chain smoker! I think he gave up (on doctor's orders) at
the close of his time with us. But he took to chewing tobacco instead!

 I think my estimation of President Obama would rise considerably if he were to
appear at a Presidential press conference; pull out a soft pack of Marlboro
smokes; shake out a cigarette; flip open a Zippo lighter; take a long pull on
his cancer stick; slowly breathe out with a look of blissful gratification on
his face and then address the press pack with an insouciant "Okaaaaay. Any
questions?"

 Good example, I have always felt cigarette smoking demonstrates a profound
lack of healthy spiritual discipline. I never hire people who are addicted to
nicotine/cigarettes. Their habit becomes a complete waste of time in the work
place as they constantly search out time and places away for a quick smoke.
They become cancerous in the morale of the work place.

 Yes, the idea that nicotine is *the* gateway drug has been suggested before.
If you think about it, anyone who takes up smoking (like me) is saying that
they need a chemical input to help them cope with life - or to make life more
enjoyable. As cigarettes are legal it seems inevitable that a drug addict would
have previously sampled nicotine. (As tobacco is so addictive, I've wondered if
many people who think they are dependent on marijuana aren't actually hooked on
the tobacco leaf without being aware of it!)

 There's also evidence (as your link suggests) that use of nicotine initiates
physiological changes in the brain that make users more responsive to other
drugs. I'm always a bit dubious about those claims . . .

 Really interesting research setting the record straight on gateways..

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/18/400658693/setting-the-record-straight-on-the-phrase-gateway-

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/18/400658693/setting-the-record-straight-on-the-phrase-gateway-drugSetting
 The Record Straight On The Phrase 'Gateway Drug'
http://www.npr.org/2015/04/18/400658693/setting-the-record-straight-on-the-phrase-gateway-drug

 Setting The Record Straight On The Phrase 'Gateway Drug'
http://www.npr.org/2015/04/18/400658693/setting-the-record-straight-on-the-phrase-gateway-drug
 Denise Kandel coined the term, often associated with marijuana, in a research
paper 40 years ago. But her work suggested nicotine, not pot, was most likely
to lead to the use of harder drugs.

 View on www.npr.org
http://www.npr.org/2015/04/18/400658693/setting-the-record-straight-on-the-phrase-gateway-drug
 Preview by Yahoo