How very interesting Xeno.  Let's leave the-peak out of it for a moment.

 That would be awesome, if what you say is correct.  This bit about Barry being
creative and a good writer, etc., and giving the new regime an honest try.

 I see different mechanics at play here.

 I don't think Barry intends to go down that path.

 I think he is going to be as disruptive as possible, test the limits, and
overall, be a constant complainer.

 I guess, we'll see won't we!

 Xeno vs. Ray (steve)  Round 1.

 Why this fascination with the_peak?

 You realize this framing of "more enlightened group" is strictly your own
pettiness coming through.

 Looks like we have two of yas acting like a petulant children.

 Xeno, you're a grown man for god's sake.  A senior citizen even. A man of
accumulated knowledge.

 "Partha, shake off this paltry faintheartedness!!"

 Today's funny story.

 Last night one of my customers called me and said he had to leave for Panama
in the morning to visit his ailing grandma.

 As he was in his mid to late 40's I said, that she must be in her 90's.

 He said older.  She is 101!

 But that moment of "cognitive dissonance" was exquisite!!

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 And you [steve] are on the playground complaining about what? I find this all
rather interesting. It would seem Barry is faced with a potential unknown
obstacle. But he is creative and a good writer, he should be able to weave
around this if Doug remains a model of restraint. The guidelines are general
rules so, for example, is it unkind to call someone stupid? Half the population
of Earth is less intelligent than the other half.

 This issue is also being mentioned on The Peak — here is a sample from the
'more enlightened' group:

 ==============

 ---In the_p...@yahoogroups.com, <awoelflebater@...> wrote : ---In
the_p...@yahoogroups.com, <fleetwood_macncheese@...> wrote :

 Barry is being played for a chump over there. along with the other trolls.
Just as I and others who oppose trolling have been.

 No one runs a site for 14 years, promising to change it when things get hot,
and yet lets things grossly deteriorate, without this being completely
intentional. I can believe ineptitude or inattention for a year or two, but for
14? No, I am not that gullible.

 I am not going to guess at motive, but it badly stretches the imagination to
be told that this is some sort of accident,  or as Rick now claims, that among
the 5,110 days since the site began, he hasn't had time to moderate it - to
slow or reverse the deterioration. To see the current state of FFL as the
intentional act that it is, is the only believable explanation left.

 So, I am done playing, and being played by Rick on FFL. Congratulations to him
on a job well done, though I wish I had caught on more quickly - lol. I owe you
one dude. :-)

 It's all a colossal waste of time. All I have really learned from FFL is that
1) those who are lonely, bereft, obnoxious and have few friends spend that much
time on a forum hassling other people. 2) Those who choose to bypass
accountability use the internet to spread their shit. 3) Posting to forums
where there is no moderation leads to megalomania in those so predisposed.
Until someone who can either shut them up or shut it down decides to do so no
amount of common sense, intelligence or reason will make one iota of
difference. Creating and maintaining a forum where there is no moderation is
like creating a society without law and order or consequences. FFL is a perfect
replica of what would happen in the "real" world if all restraints and
boundaries were removed from society. The only difference is that on the
internet no one can actually club your stab you to death. Bore and insult you
to death, maybe.

===================

 The following, also on The Peak is a rather revealing statement:

 ---In the_p...@yahoogroups.com, <awoelflebater@...> wrote :

 I've been watching the goings on over there over that past few days and I must
confess. It's great to see my old mentor and boss, Judy, still in fine form. As
we all know, a whole schwack of us were lucky enough to be her minions and cult
followers and when she left we were terrified. I mean, I don't know about you,
but knowing I no longer had Judy to watch my back I simply couldn't get out of
FFL fast enough. So, thank the powers that be, Jim created The Peak as a safe
haven from the reality posed by the ever perceptive and formidable bawee and
Sally Ann. Try as I might I know, in my heart, that I will never be equal to
their originality, lack of hypocrisy and well-rounded expertise in so many
fields of life. Now, I can safely hide in the non-confrontational heaven we
know of as The Peak where no one bothers with having an opinion and even if
they did are far too afraid to express it as Jim is a narrow-minded tyrant and
might throw us back to all that is true and sacred back at FFL and I certainly
don't have the moxie to withstand that...

 ===========================

 While I post on The Peak sometimes, because I do not really have The Peak
mindset, I do get opposition for things I say, and awoelflebater seems to
provide most of the opposition I experience. It is interesting that in posting
these things I have perhaps violated Yahoo guidelines:

 Post your own content. Have the other group member's permissions before
re-posting their content. This goes for you too, moderators.While I am posting
my own content, I have referred to other posts as well being a member to two
groups. Also, if you respond to a post and click 'message history', which Yahoo
allows, you are then reposting other group members' content automatically using
a Yahoo provided service. Without doing this, you cannot often tell to whom the
response is directed. The guidelines however do not say you cannot refer to
content in other places on the Internet. So if you repost content from another
Yahoo group does that violate the guidelines when it is the inspiration for
one's own original content, or is it allowed because it is not your own group?
If you quote a poem by Shakespeare as an example of what you are feeling or
thinking, does that violate the original content guideline? If anything, the
Internet has shown how larcenous the human species is.

 I really like the colour grey, and there are a lot of grey, ambiguous areas in
all this.

 ***********

 Doug, you realize that Barry is throwing one helluva of a tantrum, right now.

 Maybe like a six year old, if that makes any sense.

 Give him time, maybe he'll get over it.

 Maybe not.........................  (-:

 From: "jamesalan735@... [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>

   If this wordy, badly written, convoluted, and incoherent paragraph below is
a sign of what's to come - and I think it is exactly what we can expect - then
let the fun begin!

Hell and Handbasket come to mind.

 I've been trying to be gracious, but you make a good point. When the person
chosen to be the moderator of a contentious group doesn't even realize that
he's no longer writing coherent English sentences, it doesn't give me a lot of
faith in Rick's belief that Doug is the right choice to lead Fairfield Life to
a new age of peace and civility.

 I don't know why we'd be surprised at Rick's choice, however. He *is*, after
all, the same person who presented both Ravi Chivukula and Jim Flanegin to the
world as examples of enlightenment.

 Dear MJ; Son, I have not problem with your content here. My moderating
interests are in the parity of the use and impact of words within the
Yahoo-groups guidelines. Shocking as your content may be to some other people's
sensibility these comment may possibly make fair conversation on Fairfieldlife
at yahoo-groups [FFL] so long as there is some evident fact to back them up
[reference to the testimony already in the FFL archive] ..and they are not used
simply as a means to slur someone on a public forum.
 -JaiGuruYou

 Even if I say that Marshy was a liar, cheat, fraud and con artist and that he
was a serial womanizer? Just figured I would test how deep or shallow the newly
moderated waters are, you see.