> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "L B Shriver"
> [...]
> > If I may be permitted a small digression: the term "spiritual
> incest" cannot be correctly
> > understood by exactly parsing its constituents. It has a special
> meaning which applies
> > most clearly in the cult context. You have argued against its
> application here based on
> > your parsing, including the argument quoted above regarding the
> ages of the victims.
> >
> > Spiritual incest is a special kind of sexual abuse that takes place
> in institutional and/or
> > cult settings (Catholic Church, TMO). It is similar to the kind of
> abuse that takes place in,
> > for example, university settings where faculty take sexual
> advantage of students, or for
> > that matter, prison settings where guards take advantage of
> inmates. The "spiritual" aspect
> > of the term signifies the religious or cult setting.
> >

> So you think that in this context, at least, MMY's secretaries are
> vulnerable because they are cult followers?

********

That would be a case-by-case thing. Some would be, some would not.

********

> > All such abuses have in common an asymetric power relationship
> between the perpetrator
> > and the victim. This is why they are all considered
> unethical/immoral, and why laws exist
> > to protect those in the weaker position.
>
> So, not one of those exploited females has felt sufficiently safe
> to "blow the whistle" on MMY?

********

Well-accepted research indicates that cult victims generally need about 20
years of sorting
things out before they realized they were victimized and are willing to speak
out.

There have been public allegations about MMY from some of his alleged victimsk,
so I
don't understand your question.

********

> > In the religious/spiritual/cult setting, the perpetrator often has
> more power over the
> > victim than the "traditional" incest perpetrator. A guru, for
> example, is often believed to
> > be:
> >
> > enlightened
> > spiritually perfect
> > divine (avatar, incarnation of God, etc)
> > all powerful (master of sidhis, etc)
> >
> > …in addition to which, he/she may be fulfilling a parental role
> that the victim may not
> > even be consciously aware of.
> >
> > Another small digression: Many people have commented in this forum
> that they think
> > MMY's alleged infractions amount to "no big deal". However, for the
> reasons I have
> > referred to above, such abuses are universally condemned in civil
> society.
> >

> By definition, "abuses" are condemned in civil society. We still have
> not established that the incidents happened or if they did that they
> were "abuse."
>
> For there to be abuse, MMY's secretaries would have to be in the
> social position that you describe above. Were they?

********

In my experience (24 years on the insided, 11 more as an observer), the
majority of people
actively involved with the movement hold one or more of the beliefs I mention
above.
Definitely the case for movement professionals and full-timers. Furthermore, I
did not
discuss much about how MMY fufills the father figure for many people, but this
is also
undisputed among academics and counseling professionals.

********

> > This is the context in which our discussion is relevant. Your point
> about the ages of the
> > victims applies to "ordinary" incest, not the variety we are
> dealing with here.
>

> Age implies vulnerability. As you've pointed out, there are other
> measures of vulnerability. Which measures apply to MMY's secretaries
> and why?

********

It has been quite some time since I read the accounts by alleged victims. Some
of them
made statements indicating beliefs about M's status as guru, divine preceptor,
etc. I
suggest you study the accounts yourself and draw your own conclusions.

L B S