---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 cult

 1. a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular
figure or object.

 2. a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices
regarded by others as strange or sinister.

 synonyms: sect, denomination, group, movement, church, persuasion, body,
faction

 3. a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.

 synonyms: obsession with, fixation on, mania for, passion for, idolization of,
devotion to, worship of, veneration of

 Now that the banished person on FFL who devoted a considerable amount of free
time energy to explaining that the TM org is a cult is gone, and that
observation indicates approximately half the active members of FFL are still
under the influence of cult-like thought patterns; now that that person has
been eliminated, we should see an increase in docile, cult-like behaviour on
FFL, and a lowering of the level of intelligent discussion. (That is an
hypothesis by the way, not a truth)

 There was a scientific paper written in 1984 by neuroscientist Michael
Persinger titled Striking EEG Profiles from Single Episodes of Gossolalia and
Transcendental Meditation in which he wrote:

 'Transient, focal, epileptic-like changes in the temporal lobe, without
convulsions, have been hypothesised to be primary correlates of religious
experiences. Given these properties, direct measurement of these phenomena
within the laboratory should be rare. However, two illustrated instances have
been recorded. The first case involved the occurrence of a delta-wave-dominant
electoral seizure for about 10 sec. from the temporal lobe only of a
Transcendental Meditation teacher during a peak experience within a routine TM
episode. The second case involved the occurrence of spikes within the temporal
lobe only during protracted intermittent episodes of glossolalia [speaking in
tongues] by a member of a Pentecostal sect. Neither subject had any psychiatric
history. These observations are commensurate with the hypothesis that religious
experiences are natural correlates of temporal lobe transients that can be
detected by routine EEG measures.'

 Persinger is a cognitive neuroscientist, and his theories of religious
experience have received some criticism; he is of the belief that strong
magnetic field can induce religious experiences, but his research has not been
convincingly replicated.

 More of note Persinger wrote a book with two other authors in 1980 called TM
and Cult Mania in which he investigated the efficacy of TM.

 'TM and Cult Mania takes a look at the assertions made by the Transcendental
Meditation movement and analyses them from a scientific perspective. The book
acknowledges that those who practice the Transcendental Meditation technique
feel relaxed and experience an increase in creativity. According to the book,
the physiological effects reported by the scientific studies on Transcendental
Meditation are relatively small from a scientific perspective and "no more
effective than many other meditation techniques". Transcendental Meditation is
seen as most noteworthy due to its ability to manipulate stress and expectancy.'

 The authors concluded 'Transcendental Meditation has achieved international
recognition through commercial exploitation' and 'poor scientific procedures '
and that 'the reported effects of TM upon human behaviour are trivial.
Considering the alleged potency of the TM procedure, the changes in
physiological and behavioural measures are conspicuously minute'. TM and Cult
Mania comes to the conclusion that, 'science has been used as a sham for
propaganda by the TM movement.'

 The book was criticised by some because Persinger associated religious beliefs
and spiritual practices with mental illness, that he cast spiritual interests
under a cloud of psychopathology.

 Having been on FFL now for about four years, I think that psychopathy is quite
evident on this Yahoo group, and that now that the Buck persona seems to be in
charge of the way things go, that pathology of cult behaviour will intensify
unless there are enough counterbalancing voices that are not suppressed, to
keep this mental illness from spreading.

 Now I have practiced TM into my fifth decade, and as is known here, I seem to
have some slight sociopathic tendencies. These tendencies have increased
through the practice of TM. I feel the changes are positive, but they can be
described in negative language. Loss of the small self can be described as
'depersonalisation' which is as good a tag as any. The persona gets thrown out
from the centre of your life to the periphery, where it becomes an object, like
trees and rocks. Everything in the universe becomes an object, and
consciousness or awareness becomes the subject, and disappears from view.

 During most of the practice though, before this depersonalisation occurs,
awareness/consciousness is basically regarded as an object, as per statements
like, 'I experienced pure consciousness during meditation'. The form of that
statement show the mind is not enlightened because the 'I' experienced such and
such and 'such and such' is the object of the experience. Another way to say
that is the idea of self replaces the real self. This of course is how
ignorance is described, but this is also how initial experiences of meditation
are described. However the cult mentality provides an explanation that
overrides this perception that consciousness is being regarded as an object by
saying 'consciousness is experiencing itself', but when the mind, in
retrospect, talks about the experience, it is always 'I experienced such and
such'. What we have here are two layers of contradictory explanation. The
culturally programmed one, what we grew up with before becoming consciously
involved in something spiritual, and the cult program on top of that.

 The fact of enlightenment (not a scientific fact or a legal fact) is there is
experience, and that is all, nothing but that. That simple statement
encapsulates the result of the entire decades long quest in which the mind
under the influence whatever cult explanation (Zen, Tao, TM, Tantra, Christian,
Jewish, Islamic, Sufi, whatever) eventually comes. All the stuff (Zen, Tao, TM,
Tantra, Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Sufi, whatever) that the mind engaged in
during the quest is seen through and is no longer real because it is seen as
all part of the state called ignorance. And that part (Zen, Tao, TM, Tantra,
Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Sufi, whatever) is the part that is the mental
illness. Most of us here are still infected with it. Those that have been cured
of the infection are regarded with deep suspicion because they do not believe
the various structures and view along the spiritual path have any merit any
more, and the cured regard those with the infection as insane, and sometimes
say so.

 There is an incredible irony in being sucked into a cult of enlightenment
because for a while, and perhaps unfortunately for a whole lifetime, in the
quest to be free of ignorance, one for a time becomes even more ignorant,
having substituted one set of wrong ideas (what you grew up with) with another
set of wrong ideas (the spiritual path). The objective of the spiritual path is
to create a tipping point so that the mind's fixation on ideas, on thought is
eventually obliterated, but this often fails because in a cult mentality, the
explanations that would undo the path are eliminated within the path and
replaced with some rote formulae. Examples of some of these missing statements
would be 'enlightenment is a joke', or 'there really is no such thing as
enlightenment', or 'you are already enlightened and don't know it' or 'there is
nothing between you and your enlightened state other than your opinions' or
'everything you think about enlightenment is untrue'. These simple rejoinders
diminish in time and get replaced by some grandiose scheme that imply that if
you follow this path, you will be on a golden illuminated highway to a heaven
that surpasses the gods (or whatever version of these imaginary entities or
entity strikes your fancy), that and you will forever be happy and without
problems.

 The problem with FFL now is that happy grandiose state is being forced from
without rather than from within each of us, trying to create a happy
problem-free state without having to face any of the issues such as the real
veracity of the spiritual path, depersonalisation, ego, bad science, magical
thinking, various sorts of personal bias, deep seated fears, and our own
snarky, sniping behaviours which in the past have surfaced repeatedly.

 This all might have something to do with that little area of the brain called
the amygdala, which is deep within the brain's medial temporal lobe. The
amygdala is a key to emotional behaviour and is central to both pleasure and
fear. When the amygdala is stimulated by whatever means, it overrides our
prefrontal cortex, our machinery for cognitive intelligence, and our
intelligent behaviour, and we either freeze up, get angry, or run. Behaviours
that, based on what people write, appeared here quite often.

 But what is interesting is if you suppress in the environment those things
that stimulate the amygdala, the prefrontal cortex, our intelligence has no
opportunity to learn how to discriminate and deal with the difference between a
real tangible threat and a non threatening, but seemingly threatening
situation. What this means is, if you create a 'community situation' devoted to
a particular set of ideas, a cult, in which those ideas are peacefully traded,
you create a situation where one of the key processes of learning leading to
the so called enlightened state is removed, and instead of enhancing the
opportunity for realisation, the opposite happens. Why do you think, in
historical India, late in life you go alone into the forest to gain
realisation? You leave community behind and go solo.

 'Enlightenment' is a solo flight. It is all about what you are alone as one
single quality. It's not about companionship, it's not about friends, its about
the discrimination of real and fake, and group dynamics reinforce group
thinking, thinking running along tracks rather than freely enquiring and trying
to discover what is happening for real, rather than what you think is
happening. Groupthink is only useful in the early stages to help build some
confidence to go solo, to burn the bridges of ignorant attachments. Like
parents encouraging a child, but the child eventually has to become independent
or they become a burden.

 This is why small cults turn into large cults called religions. The groupthink
dominates and whatever knowledge of spirituality remains gets buried so deeply
in the groupthink, in the community, that it is as good as lost forever. Thus
community freezes the early stages of spiritual seeking and destroys the
opportunity to progress to the later stages. Because it is so much easier to
bask in one's illusions than to have all the things you think are true and dear
eventually stripped away revealing that what you thought was there, wasn't.
What you are looking for when you seek enlightenment is not there in where you
are looking, in what you are thinking.

 There are tools that help. Meditation, the ability to be silent, is one.
Curiosity is another, and some persistent sense of a goal is another. But none
of these things are arrival. The tools, like any tools can be dangerous if
handled improperly. In cults, the dangers are minimised in the rhetoric, and
the goal is bombastically hyped as is the 'need' to stay connected with a
group, the solo nature of the enlightenment trek is minimised in favour of
group comfort. But it is not about a group. It's about seeing collections of
things are essentially just the way the mind dreams its thoughts and attributes
significance to specific kinds of properties bundled together. The cerebral
cortex needs to be trained to unbundle these things and this requires some
individual initiative for a while to keep it on track, and individual
initiative is contrary to groupthink even as it is also a fundamental error in
thinking how the universe works.

 As Fairfield Life settles down, becomes more comfortable, what I am saying is
your chances of enlightenment, however you imagine it to be, are being reduced
because it is so much easier to be complacent that everything you hold dear is
somehow true, rather than experiencing the lie it is. Spiritual experiences are
just a different kind of life experience. Like the old wise men of some
primitive tribe who are consulted for their long experience, and judgements
derived therefrom, spiritual experiences are intermittent happenings that ought
to give us some perspective on just what experience, i.e., consciousness is
about. What is needed is the perspective that fits these experiences into a
coherent whole, this is what we call enlightenment, not the experiences that
lead up to something, but what their real significance is in freeing us from
our own lack of perception. Once that happens, you can forget about the whole
trip if you like. This kind of perspective only comes after the seeking stage
in enlightenment is done with.

 Our moderator is an affectionado of community. And thus unsuitable for any
kind of enlightenment trek other than the very early stages in which people
acquire the confidence to go further. It is pretty clear from the statements he
has past made, that he has a cult mentality, devoted to specific ideas and
community. If you want enlightenment, he will be your obstacle. You need the
freedom to discover what overrides your intellectual intelligence with fear,
anger, or the desire to flee, so that the mind can train itself to distinguish
and attain some mastery over conditioned responses to stimuli. You need a
variety of contrary inputs to learn to distinguish useful from useless. You
need a competent form of meditation, curiosity and the desire to find out. If
you are seeking, you have not yet found out anything. If you are comfortable in
a community, because of what they say, you have not yet found out anything. You
need to be independent of groupthink, and question everything you hold dear and
sacred, because none of it is true.

 First class post. I'm sure glad you're still here to help keep us on the
straight and narrow.

 I intend to hold Buck at his word and take advantage of the "tolerant yahoo
guidelines" without giving up my point of view about anything and I shall keep
picking at the mass of poor science and religious delusions that call itself
"the knowledge" as best as my meagre mind can manage. It's what our insightful
friend on gardening leave would have wanted I'm sure...