Om Jerusalem!  Almost missed these posts, hidden under that other subject
heading.

 It's a wonderful poem, that Jerusalem, S3raphita. It sounds like you know it
well, which is rather amazing, since very few people do, unless they are Blake
scholars. I lived with it for several years when I was studying Blake.

This is the title page: Jerusalem, at the bottom, asleep, waiting for Albion to
arise, who will then awaken her. Vala, the woman just above Jerusalem on the
left, is awake, of course, since she is Nature, who holds sway while the
spiritual value that Jerusalem represents sleeps. Perhaps you know all this.

Jerusalem The Emanation of The Giant Albion, copy E, c. 1821 (Yale Center for
British Art): electronic edition
http://www.blakearchive.org/exist/blake/archive/object.xq?objectid=jerusalem.e.illbk.02&java=no

http://www.blakearchive.org/exist/blake/archive/object.xq?objectid=jerusalem.e.illbk.02&java=no

 Jerusalem The Emanation of The Giant Albion, copy E, c. ...
http://www.blakearchive.org/exist/blake/archive/object.xq?objectid=jerusalem.e.illbk.02&java=no

 View on www.blakearchive.org
http://www.blakearchive.org/exist/blake/archive/object.xq?objectid=jerusalem.e.illbk.02&java=no
 Preview by Yahoo

 Re "The idea was that the people who lived in the country first were closest
to the "natural laws" of the country":

 I wonder if there might be something in this. Could it be the case that a
country is not simply a patch of real estate but is in some sense a living
being in its own right? What I'm thinking of is William Blake's prophetic poem
Jerusalem, the Emanation of Albion which tells the story of the fall of Albion,
"the Universal Humanity". In the poem, Albion is both a man and a land
(Britain).

 Blake's idea of "the divine Albion" (the British Isles) would have parallels
in other places. Can a land modify the behaviour of settlers who move into it -
as Europeans did into north America? Is that so far-fetched an idea? Probably -
but it does appeal to me.

  • Re: [FairfieldLife] F... Michael Jackson mjackso...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • Re: [FairfieldLi... salyavin808
      • Re: [Fairfie... Michael Jackson mjackso...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]