Not all disciplines emphasize practicing meditation twice a day. Some just emphasize using it as needed. It's good to step out of the shadow of TM and it's narrow definitions and find out what other paths do. I know, they may want to throw you out of the dome for that but other gurus will actually have you visit saints, temples, gurus and ashrams. I think the restrictions were to keep the money flow tight. And of course the guilt aspect of you won't be supporting world peace if you don't at least meditate or fly twice a day. That's a variation on the old "Master Game" called "sin."