Again, perception vs. reality. Only about 30% of Americans even own a gun, so
that means the vast majority do not. And the occurrences of mass gun violence,
are actually quite rare, statistically. I am not saying it isn't an issue, but
it is not the faux-firestorm that it is made out to be. Mostly used now as a
deliberate political distraction. Politicians figured out long ago that
thinking is linear, and if we are upset over the latest uproar, we are not
tracking what is happening longer term.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <olliesedwuz@...> wrote :

 We have about 11,000 people born in the US each day, and about 6,800 deaths
per day, or about 6,770, if we subtract the ~30 deaths daily by firearms. I am
not excusing the deaths as a result of guns, however it is clearly not the
risk, nor the social evil that we are led to believe it is. With nearly one gun
for every man, woman and child in the USA, 270 million guns, total, I am
astonished that the number of deaths as a result, is not far higher.

 I think this "gun issue" is another fake-out by the politicians, run by those
above them to keep our eyes off the real game, subverting economic justice in
the US. Continuing to starve wages while raising prices and taxes causes social
stress, resulting predictably in some firearm violence. Why call for gun
control, when there is no economic control? We are going after symptoms, vs the
illness.

 But, such high profile mass shootings are bound to create media hyper
ventilation and the resulting outrage and lamenting is continuously ignited by
these relatively common occurrences in schools, movie theaters and elsewhere.
It is a subject that deserves attention because it also indicates something
deeper - is a barometer for other social disease rampant in (in this case) the
US. Guns seem to accompany fear and rage and mental illness but not necessarily
in all cases when their use is against a neighbor, a classroom, an employer.
The need to own guns, to have them handy at all times, is an indicator or a
society in rough shape. When you can't feel safe unless you have a gun in your
possession it points to economic reasons as well. Drug addiction, poverty, lack
of resources can lead citizens to assume they can take what they need at the
point of a gun, for example. Whole city blocks and blocks of substandard living
conditions or millions of people scraping by all over America are testimony to
the sorry state of our society. Even the vehemence with which gun lovers defend
their (and by default everyone's) right to own and carry a gun is based in fear
and a distorted idea that to change the Constitution with regard to gun
ownership rights would somehow be un-American or even sacrilegious. This whole
gun issue reveals far more than just how people feel about arms.

 More than 10,000 Americans are killed every year by gun violence. By contrast,
so few Americans have been killed by terrorist attacks since 9/11 that when you
chart the two together, the terrorism death count approximates zero for every
year except 2001. This comparison, if anything, understates the gap: Far more
Americans die every year from (easily preventable
http://www.vox.com/2015/8/11/9126891/gun-suicide-rate) gun suicides than gun
homicides.

 The point Obama is making is clear: We spend huge amounts of money every year
fighting terrorism, yet are unwilling, at the national level, to take even
minor steps (like requiring background checks on all gun sales nationally) to
stop gun violence.