This is an example of a non right/left issue. It's newspaper owners holding on to a business model that went out of style in the 21st century. Those with vision shifted to their central distribution to Internet. It's a problem though to monetize it. You can have online subscriptions as we now have a new local weekly that does both paper and online. They charge a subscription for both but you can still read the online version for the moment free. Their website is responsive designed so it works both well on desktops and mobile. That's not hard to do anymore with the frameworks available.

Online advertising is another problem. Companies like Google push interstitials (full screen ads) because they can charge more for them but people just dismiss them or if they lock up their mobile device (which they can do) they won't visit that site again. I read recently in Advertising Age that businesses are finding targeted advertising not worth the price either (thank God!). Some sites decry ad blockers and I think why not just embed the ad anyway since the only real use of cookies is for targeted ads. Yahoo embeds ads so you still see some even with an ad blocker on.

The other thing Google and ad services were pushing is video ads. Don't you just hate those? There comes a point where you annoy a potential customer enough they won't buy your product .... ever.

On 10/04/2015 08:43 AM, Mike Dixon mdixon.6...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:
Part of my reasoning is value. I used to buy a Houston Chronicle every morning at a local Walgreens. The price has gone up from a dollar a day to a dollar fifty, Monday thru Friday. I have reluctantly tolerated it even though I'm guaranteed a heavy dose of liberalism day to day. However, the Saturday and Sunday paper recently went up to three dollars and I decided that it wasn't worth it. I stopped buying it on those days but I wasn't the only one! Now, the stack of papers just sit there on the weekend. Nobody, or at least, virtually nobody, buys the Saturday or Sunday paper anymore. It's over priced. Now the delivery person has to remove them and take them back on Mondays with no money earned on those days. I've checked other stores and found pretty much the same results. Why pay three bucks when I can read the news on line? Why pay a dollar fifty? That's just a bad habit I'll probably address soon.Poor news paper delivery person.

*From:* "awoelfleba...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
*To:* FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
*Sent: Sunday, October 4, 2015 8:52 AM
*Subject:* Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Just For the Record
***
**
*
**
*

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emily.mae50@...> wrote :

Are you prejudiced towards fast food workers in general or just McDonald's employees? What are your assumptions about people who work at MickeyD's?

*
*I don't quite understand Mike's reasoning here. Who eats at McDonalds? Poor people, rich people, people who just want to pay less for a burger? If you are truly paying less for a burger then how do you think that can come about? Hint: you have to cut costs. What is the easiest way to cut costs? Pay your employees less. Is your $3 hamburger worth it knowing others don't make a living wage? I don't eat at McDonalds - never have for a whole lot of reasons but if I did I would like to think the staff were not the equivalent of indentured servants. It's a bit the chicken and the egg. If you can't make enough money to live beyond the poverty level by working at McDonalds than what person would choose to work there? I'll tell you. Those who either don't have the education or experience or luck to find a better paying job, that's who. So when Mike says they don't know their McNuggets from their milkshakes there is a good reason for that if that is, in fact, a true statement.

If you're going to pay fifteen an hour , you have a right to expect more from your employee, probably more than many average McDonalds employee are capable of giving. Might require some *focused* attention. Of course, if you are more efficient and accomplishing more, you'll need fewer workers to assist you. Which means fewer jobs. A higher wage may mean more for you but it also means more from you.If someone complains about their eight dollar an hour job now, wait till they have a fifteen dollar an hour job.