 I agree with you there, ultra. I have long been amazed by the folks in the
grocery store line who watch passively as their stuff is being rung up and then
slowly, and only when the total shows, rummage around in their bag for cash or
check. It's as if they are surprised that they are being asked to pay for it
all.

I don't visit coffee shops but I am quite sure the phenomenon you describe
would drive me insane too.

 We, of course, are much more conscious and organized up here in Canada. None
of those annoying things ever happen. ;-)

 Yeah... the whole coupon thing at the check out stand drives me nuts
especially when there is a problem with the coupon and a long discussion ensues
and the manager is paged for.  Meanwhile, my 1/2 gallon of Organic Vanilla Ice
Cream is melting on the belt.

I also go crazy with the folks who still write checks and don't begin filling
in the details until they get the total.  Only then it comes out of the purse,
etc., and the person starts to log the entry in the checkbook and then fill out
the check.  Argggggggggg!

I also have no patience for the same type of person (as in I'm the only person
in the world and my actions don't affect others attitude)  who is at the coffee
and condiments self serve counter.  They insist in adding their condiments and
judiciously stirring it while block acess to the the coffee pump. It drags on
as they then decide they need a heat sleeve and a lid (whose size is never
correctly chosen the first time)  They don't pull to the side to engage in the
gastronomic preparatory machinations while letting the rest of us get on with
our lives.  I drink it black so I am in and out of there in the time it takes a
gnat to fart.

I should switch to decaf, I know.