Nope, as Americans we are free!  Thank the Unified Field we are free!  /a..
Some would like to create an application process that might catch mental cases.
 But we are pretty free to buy guns small and large of most any type.  But old
history would ask, "what would you do when the Anglican Church has all our
guns?"

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <s3raph...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 But there must be a register of gun ownership surely?

 Even car owners have their names and addresses linked to their vehicle licence
plates (I've seen American cop shows on TV ;-) ).

 So it can't be difficult to check if someone owns 100 sports cars.

 Ditto firearms, no?

 Dear Scorpion Meditator;  No.  For instance our dear, dear moderator of FFL
can buy as many as he wishes, so long as he don't have a felony convction again
him.  But even then felons get guns pretty easy through friends, garage sales
and gun show flea markets.  Is easy to 'collect' semi-auto assualt guns of all
sizes. Even [meditating] kids growing up here while in high school and their
friends collected all kinds of armament and would go out and shoot together.
You know, explore the physics of ballistics.  The science of it.  It is the
culture.  You should see the collection of antique guns one of my offspring who
was deep in to Civil War re-enacting has.  From those days I have friends with
live-fire cannon in their garages at home.  Most places you just can't carry
them openly.  Depends on the locality in America.  Lot of places you can get a
permit to carry loaded guns 'on your person'.  Other places you don't need
that.

 It is cultural.  Like, the annual great communal deer hunt is going on right
now here: shotgun season.  And there are all sorts [undreds and maybe
thousands] of armed people racing around in pickup trucks like mad people
dressed in blaze orange right now.  Some of them no doubt liquored up too.  I
pull my livestock in close during these weeks of the tribal annual deer hunt.

 I sold horses once to an engineer who was a manager of a DuPont chemical plant
out in Maryland a few years back.   He was saying they would shut their plants
down during deer season because so many of their folks would call in sick
anyway on those days.

 Basically, growing up American, if you go to a scout camp in America you learn
to shoot an arrow and a gun.  It is American. Evidently this is engrained as a
first line of defense again religious nuts of various stripes, even protecting
us from white X-ains of various bolts of white cloth.  It is old history with
us.   -JaiGuruYou

 A query from Scorpion Nation:

 When US citizens buy a firearm they have to register the gun, no?

 Is there some central, federal agency coordinating the sales invoices?

 What I'm wondering is if a citizen were to buy 20 semi-automatic rifles would
anyone in authority be aware that he had built up such an arsenal and wouldn't
that automatically trigger concerns that maybe he needed appraising re possible
terrorist/security risks? Perhaps in the States it's just regarded as his
personal preference and a private matter . . .