---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emily.mae50@...> wrote :

 My goodness.  I could afford to live in Fairfield.

 You wouldn't like the fact that it doesn't have beaches and ocean. But what it
does have is community and retro wood framed houses and a town square. It has
four seasons (barely). Spring never really happens. One minute it's minus 10
and the next minute it's 70 degrees F.

 I have never before seen the claim that the ME will not work in a community of
under 10,000.

 I imagine it's one of those things that got invented on the spot to explain
why things don't work. See also, too much stress in collective consciousness
etc. Bit embarrassing for them that it's been made public.

 That's actually pretty odd, since Fairfield itself numbers only about 9,500
people, which would mean that the ME has zero effect here, but is able, so to
speak, to jump over Fairfield and affect other places in Iowa. That's one
weird-acting ME!

 Is FF really that small? You must know everyone in town! Must be a friendly
place too, unless you're sick of the sight of each other and spend all day
hiding. My friends who have lived there say it's weird being so far from other
towns compared to the UK where you can't walk for an hour without passing
through several villages.

 More data: http://www.city-data.com/city/Fairfield-Iowa.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Fairfield-Iowa.html

 Reading through that all I'm down fine enough with the rebuttals further
below. Sorry Sal you're so disgruntled with your experience.

  Best Regards from Fairfield, Iowa

 Thanks, I always enjoy best regards as opposed to the abuse I often get from
our fellow forum members but what puzzles me is what experience it is that you
are sympathising with me for?

 If it's my experience in meditation then there's no need because I get the
same wild, breaking-on-through trips that everyone else does. There wouldn't be
much point doing it otherwise. I expect it's the fact I'm not totally "on
message" about the Marshy Effect as you are, but as I try to point out in my
post there isn't any reason to be enthusiastic about it at all so I don;t feel
the need to help them with their advertorial. I'd hope at least that came
across.

 What did you think of the Deux ex Machina I highlighted? Ever come across such
a pathetic excuse for why independent research didn't replicate the results of
the claim? "Sorry you couldn't achieve social harmony in your test of our
technology, even though we told you what to do we must have omitted to mention
the one illogical thing that makes your experiment pointless" And it makes no
sense that the ME should only work on
 big groups does it?

 This is what I mean by scientific filters, or controls as they are also
called. I did start writing an extra paragraph there but abandoned it as it
would have made the post too long and I thought I'd covered the main points.
Those being is that science is about gathering data to support a hypothesis and
that process has to be carried out in a particular way, and it has to be
consistent. Apart from the fact a lot of the complainants accusations make a
mockery of the usual standards by which social monitoring is carried out - a
fact not convincingly explained by OJ - means it's a lot less likely that their
conclusions can be supported.

 Most science is actually done in someone's head long before it gets near a
lab, whether that lab is a particle accelerator a test tube or a war zone,
there's a set of questions you have to ask yourself to make sure that you
aren't fooling yourself. These questions will vary according to what you are
proposing but basically follow a similar path. Is there a signal to be heard or
is it random noise? Am I sure the data doesn't have a simpler explanation or
one that someone hasn't already covered? Is there any data present that
contradicts my hypothesis? Is it possible for people to replicate? Is my idea
the best - simplest - way of explaining any data gathered? Am I just kidding
myself?

 You get the general idea. I have many interests that the mainstream passes
over like evidence of bicameralism in early human self-representation, it would
be easy just to look for data that confirms that and ignore the rest but what
would be the point? I'd be the only one I'm fooling so I keep my eyes open for
contradictory information.

 When I read Marshy Effect research it makes me wonder whether the scientists
involved are asking themselves similar control questions before they even start
because if they have to invent Deux ex Machina as howlingly embarrassing and
illogical as the one they passed on to the poor guy who had actually gone out
of his way to try and replicate their claims, then they aren't doing science
properly at all. (Please note there was no attempt to explain this in OJ's
rebuttal)

 You may say that it's a small point but it's pivotal to the way they do
things. The goalposts constantly shift and failures - the yagya programme for
instance - are ignored. You probably think I'm just getting at you lot for no
reason but I'm not, I'm trying to show that science is a process trying to work
out what is from what isn't and I rather suspect that people round here cheer
it on when it supports what they want to believe and dismiss it as irrelevant,
when it doesn't.

 But it gladdens my heart that everyone nowadays sees it as the standard they
have to reach for intellectual acceptance, every New Age hopeful has to get a
"quantum" in there somewhere. Trouble is you have to accept the conclusions
when they don't support your ideas and move on to something else but there's so
much money in keeping people believing in the dream that the TMO can't afford
to do any serious research into the ME or yagya's because they probably know by
now that it isn't working.

 But why would intelligent and well decorated scientists not apply any of the
usual rigour to their work? It's that there are stronger forces at work in
people than merely needing to check theories, especially to people who have
been involved in strong cults. Larry Domash raised the point with Marshy that
we shouldn't talk about the unified field as we don't know anything about it
yet - this was before the SU5 experiments that debunked it - and Marshy
apparently banged the table and shouted "We are the masters in this field!".

 So that's my explanation for the blinkered and poor quality research, you are
either on the bus or you are off it. Domash and the others decided to stay on
the bus and were henceforth duty-bound to believe and actively campaign for
Marshy's teachings. They have blinded themselves to the possibility they are
wrong because they believe utterly in Marshy's worldview of consciousness as
some sort of field that can spread peace. That's how they can fail to ask
themselves difficult questions and invent dubious excuses to fellow researchers
trying to check their results.

 Funny how ironically that mirrors the English enlightenment with Isaac Newton
and how the development of the modern scientific method broke free of religious
interference by setting up the principles of free inquiry without anyone with a
beard or funny hat telling what to think before you've even looked. They made
dramatic gains in knowledge the minute they got away from revealed wisdom
whereas the TMO scientists remain in their own ever decreasing circles trying
to justify it!

 But thanks for reading anyway Buck, even if I haven't reached you yet ;-) But
I reiterate, it's not about my experience, it's about explaining experience.