Re "life would not have been worth living" :

 Blimey. Have things been that bad? :-)

 I would have to list The Upanishads as one of the spiritual books that has
most influenced me. That is going back to the old, old days when I had just
begun TM, and I read the Upanishads in the translation by Juan Mascaro in the
Penguin edition. I found it much more inspiring than the Gita and it really got
it into my head what Vedanta was all about. I still have that same edition on
my bookshelves. It has traveled with me for over 45 years. Scholars do not like
this translation but it served me very well at the time.

Other works that have inspired and changed me and still sit on the shelves in
the same editions I first read them in: Tolstoy's War and Peace, King Lear,
Whitman's Leaves of Grass, the poetry of Blake. Without these books and many
others, and a spiritual framework in which to understand them, thanks to MMY,
life would not have been worth living.

 Thanks for posting the Bowie list. I agree that perusing the library of
someone is always revealing.

 The list isn't alphabetical. Is it in order of his preferences?

 Whatever, I was delighted and surprised to see that in fourth place he has On
Having No Head by Douglass [sic] Harding. An essential read for anyone
interested in discovering their true nature.

 Re "Would be interesting to see the book shelves of some who post on FFL" :

 In my case you would think that you had walked into a new-age bookshop -
including all of Douglas Harding's titles.

 I was sent this link by a good friend. For all of you Bowie fans, you might
find the list of his top 100 books interesting to view. Perusing the library of
someone is always interesting and revealing.
 http://electricliterature.com/david-bowies-100-favorite-books/
http://electricliterature.com/david-bowies-100-favorite-books/