 Re "I am sure I assume all sorts of things based on my whiteness" :

 Like what?

 More to the point: what kind of parent would want to see their children shamed
just for being what they are?

 The word "shaming" was used by that ultra conservative Campus Reform group. I
am pretty sure it is not about shaming but about  creating  an awareness where
there might be none.

 Hell, I assume all sorts of things because I'm white. I assume I will not be
denied a job because of my color, I am pretty sure my attendance or membership
in the eating establishments, stores, movie theaters and country clubs I want
to attend will not be denied to me because I am white. I assume a shitload of
things. I have no idea what others experience because of racial prejudice, not
really. I am coddled and soft and indulged by the society I live in because I
live in a predominantly white country and city. Do I feel guilty about this?
No. But, I think it is incumbent upon me to come to understand what others go
through because there is prejudice and bigotry everywhere. I have no problem
with the premise of this course at this school.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emptybill@...> wrote :

 Portland Community College to devote an entire month to 'whiteness'-shaming

The schools says the month is an "educational project" exploring how the
"construct of whiteness" creates racial inequality.

 Sounds like a worthwhile project. Goodness knows I agree with many of the
premises. Self awareness is never a bad thing. I'm white and I've been very
privileged and I am sure I assume all sorts of things based on my whiteness
that I'm not even aware of. Your label of "whiteness"-shaming seems a tad
dramatic though.

 Portland Community College to devote an entire month to 'whiteness'-shaming
http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7174

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7174 The schools says the month is an
"educational project" exploring how the "construct of whiteness" creates racial
inequality.

 View on www.campusreform... http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7174
 Preview by Yahoo