I don’t see the problem as anything to do with TM or its instruction, nor have
I encountered anyone doing the program along with a normal career and family
life who has encountered any problems.

 The issue seems to be those who have forsaken everything, in order to chase
enlightenment by copying Maharishi. Nature does not operate in this way, a dog
doesn’t suddenly decide to become a cat, so I am not sure where anyone got the
idea that living as faux-Indians and meditating much more than is healthy,
leads to salvation.

 TM was not introduced as any sort of a lifestyle change. It was always meant
as an enhancement, not the be all and end all of our existence. The other thing
those in the movement seem to have missed is that Maharishi never set himself
up as a personal guru to anyone. As the founder of TM, some people made an
association with Maharishi that to emulate what he did and said would gain the
goal more quickly. But that isn’t consistent about what even he said about TM,
that it makes you your own person, by eliminating stress.

 That being the case, we can expect to face greater opportunities, and a more
dynamic life, than without TM. All that deep rest has to emerge somewhere. It
is also a reasonable expectation that some of us will need therapy to
understand and deal with these changes. Maharishi could not help with that,
because it was outside of his personal and cultural context. The error was in
assuming that his choice was the right one, for the West. It wasn’t.

 Yes, any dedicated spiritual pursuit enlarges our world for us, and it is
foolish to think that we can simply follow a template already laid out by
someone else, to gain eternal peace and fulfillment. TM is an amazing
technique, with far more to offer than most realize. But it takes us working
with ourselves, and perhaps some outside assistance, to integrate it. Given its
mechanical nature, eliminating stress and opening us to ourselves, there is a
lot to integrate.

 So TM will bring up the elements that may be causing anger, though it is the
practitioner’s responsibility to do something about it, without the assumption
that it is someone else’s fault, or by trying to meditate it away.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <olliesedwuz@...> wrote :

 What you mention about someone with anger issues mucking up the whole
meditating community, is an odd effect from a technique that has so much to
offer. We all know the background of Maharishi not seeing a need for an
integration of the study of psychology with the benefits of TM, but this
appears to now have resulted in a serious problem wrt the movement's ongoing
liveliness.

 I guess the real question is: Why doesn't TM - if it has so much to offer -
not clear up people's anger problems?

 It's hardly a rare thing, my overriding memories of working in the TMO was of
highly stressed, angry and generally dysfunctional people. Not all of them by
any means, but enough to make a casual observer wonder what was going on. And
what seemed to be going on was that these people thought they were doing fine
because they were On The Program and thus their thoughts were in perfect accord
with Natural Law. Therefore any problems are with other people.

 The sooner you all get out of the idea that meditation - of any sort - makes
your thoughts special in some way the sooner it will start working like a
proper organisation with people holding themselves responsible for their
actions rather than everyone trying to rationalise why the leaders are hopeless
when Marshy - in his infinite wisdom - chose them for us.

 To somehow believe that in the absence of any instruction except, "take it
easy, take it as it comes", and the diligent practice of TM, that everything
will magically sort itself out mentally, emotionally, physically, socially, and
financially, is pretty naive. Add to that the inevitable "cart before the
horse" attitude wrt behavior in spiritual environments (faux emulation of
"enlightened" living), and you end up with a bunch of emotional powder kegs in
the community. Light is essential for seeing the world, but it is the shadows
that give everything its reality. Has anyone spoken to this angry person in a
clear and direct fashion, about this problem, or is that not possible?

 Really Great observation, Back_for_more  about capable leadership qualities in
the abstract.

 Fine, but add in a derangement or two and you get a nut.

  Here in the movement we got someone in the middle of leadership of our
meditating community group who has ruled with some of those leadership
qualities in the abstract except that in character is unable to be magnanimous
and is out of balance with serious anger management issues that have completely
tied the group up and in effect driven a whole movement off in to exile.

 As you say below it is about relational balance.

 I know someone who knows Donald.  The Trump is full compulsive obsessive. Not
just a little but real.  The person says that you don’t want Trump running the
country.

 Where would US citizens go in to exile whence an evident nut like Trump could
come in to disruption and control of our lives?  The twentieth century had
plenty of examples to draw on of that happening.

 I am looking for balance in leadership. A good human being.

 As part of the Iowa caucus cycle I have seen all three of the democratic
candidates and I am fine with either of them from this standpoint of reasonable
balance and self control.

 #

 Anne , are you in a position to criticize Trump's negotiating skills?  If you
are , I think the New York Times would love to have an editorial from you, the
National Review also!

 Sure I am and so are you. Just watch him. He may have pushed and bullied his
way around the corporate world but these tactics don't work as the leader of a
country. My reasons for thinking this are below in my initial post. It doesn't
take much of a brain to extrapolate from all of his bluster from the podium
that his way or the highway can only end in war and disaster. Perhaps he is all
hot air and were he to actually assume the office of the President of the US he
will turn out to be a contemplative, sane, rational, balanced human being but
from all evidence from the stump he appears exactly the opposite. It is
precisely because his techniques have worked in his (corporate) world so far
that he is stupid enough to think they will work in the different context in
his role as President (although he will never assume office). I heard him say
earlier on that he will hire the best negotiators in the world as his advisors
even though they are "harrible, harrible human beings". Does this sound like a
good idea to you?

 I grew up in a family where the patriarch (my father) was one of the most
powerful and influential CEO's in the world. He was brave, smart, fair, decent
and yet no push over. I grew up around this. I know that no matter how tough
and how big you think you are you have to combine it with a balance that
includes empathy, heart, wisdom and depth and to understand and acknowledge
your own fallibility and weaknesses. In other words, you have to act like a
human being. It is only then that you command true respect instead of
generating rancor, resistance and resentment by others who you need to "deal"
with.