Inauguration of Nada Mantapa Raga Ragini Samudaya Bhavan

ADDRESS
OF THE HONORABLE VICE-PRESIDENT OF INDIA, SRI KRISHAN KANT,
AT THE INAUGURATION OF THE NEWLY CONSTRUCTED
"RAGA RAGINI NADA MANTAPA" AUDITORIUM
ON 31st MAY, 1998 AT AVADHOOTA DATTA PEETHAM, MYSORE

It is with a great sense of pleasure and satisfaction that I inaugurate this
imposing
auditorium- "Raga Ragini Nada Mantapa" inspired by His Holiness Jagadguru Datta
Peethadhipati Sri Ganapati Sachchidananda Swamiji. This concert hall- the
Mantapa, will
long serve the cause of music and remain a monument to Swamiji's untiring
efforts to
make the people of the world aware of the grandeur of Indian music and its many
less-
known uses. I have had the good fortune of observing Swamiji's musical genius
and power
to inspire and command the adherence both of the musically gifted and the lay.
The
residents of Mysore are exceptionally lucky to receive this gift of love from
Swamiji.

To Swamiji goes the singular credit of distilling from music, its therapeutic
uses which lay
buried in the accumulating sands of time. There are many who have benefited
from his
blessings and many more are waiting to receive them. Dhyana Sangeeta is one of
the
several inherent attributes of music. Only through painstaking research and
insightful
analysis has Swamiji succeeded in rediscovering the "dhyana" aspect of our
music. We all
owe to him a great debt of gratitude.

The musical traditions of India are our culture's enduring legacies. Our music
is one of the
oldest in the world, going back to the Vedic times. It is essentially melodic
and has
retained that character till this day. The two great systems of Indian music,
Hindustani and
Carnatic, have the same basis and common roots. They are melodic and are
governed by
the rules of Raga and Tala structures. Coming down to the present from the
ancient times,
the common roots of our apparently different systems of music, tell the story
of a cultural
synthesis which distinguishes our civilization. From Kashmir to Kanyakumari,
the people
of India, regardless of caste, creed or region, understand, appreciate and
instinctively
relate to Indian musical traditions. Whether it is simple folk music or the
sophisticated
classical form, the music of India unites us all in a subconscious oneness.

In our philosophical traditions music is one of the path ways to the Brahma. It
is an aspect
of the supreme reality. In Vedic literature, one comes across the concept of
Nada Brahma,
the absolute sound-principle. The Vedas say:-

CHAITANYA SARVA BUTHANAM VIVRUTHAM JAGADATHMANA

NADA BRAHMA THADANANDAM ADHVITIYA MRUPASAYE

"We worship Nada Brahma, that incomparable bliss which is immanent in all the
creatures
as intelligence and is manifest in the phenomenon of this universe".

"Sangeet Ratnakar" also uses the Vedic idiom to describe Nada Brahma as the
ultimate
principle of sound, the source of the delight of music. It is remarkable how
the "aesthetic"
and the "spiritual" are synthesized and find a common expression in the ancient
music of
India.

Given this spiritual origin of our music, it is nothing surprising if this
medium was used by
Saints to reach out to the hearts and the minds of the people. Be it Kabir,
Mira,
Purandardas, Jaidev, Ameer Khusro or Tansen, they all found in music a powerful
means of
communication of subtle thoughts and ideas to the people. To many, music became
both
a medium and an object of worship and benediction. Through simple bhajans,
abhangas
and Kirtans, the most profound mystic truths and socially reformative ideas
were conveyed
to the society.

Indian life is filled with music. It is many-hued spectrum ranging from the
simple to the
sophisticated, encompassing the grunts and the shrieks of the Nagas and the
Todas, to
the uncommn sophistication of concert music. Indian music has this unique power
elicit, not only physical and cerebral, but also the spiritual response from
the people.
There is ecstasy in Shri Chaitanya's chant of "Hari Hari Bol" and the Sufi's
plaintive cry for
his beloved. All reveal the integrity of the spiritual personality of man.
Music is the way to
spiritual wisdom, beyond faith, belief and religions. The Vedas say:-

YEK MAPIHI BRAHMA

VIMUTHI MEDE ANEK THA VUPASPATHE YITHI STHITHI

"Brahma, although one, owing to the plurality of its powers is meditated upon
in more
than one ways".

Rumi- the Sufi Mystic, echoes the same thought when he says"-

"By loving (spiritual) wisdom doth the soul know life.

What has it got to do with senseless strife of Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Arab,
Turk?"

The Greek Philosopher Plato described Music as the "harmony of the soul."
Musical
learning was the highest form of education and enabled the seeker to transcend
the limits
both of the body and the intellect.

In all philosophic traditions, the world over, the transcendental aspect of
music has been
recognized.

Some of India's finest music has been very closely linked with religious or
spiritual practice
or mystic experiences. No other culture in the world so clearly recognizes the
value, not
just of the written word but also of the sound associated with it. Thus, it is
the simple
process of musical rendering which distinguishes "Sama Veda" from "Rig Veda".
What is
known as the Mantra Shakti is not just language and text but also specificity
of sound and
rendering. Nada B rahma permeates all. The Indian philosophy does not ignore
the body
even when dwelling upon the illusory nature of the extant world. Yogasutra
specifically
states:-

"ANANDAM BRAHAMANO RUPAM SACHHA DEHEY VYAVASTHITHAM "

"The manifest form of Brahma is bliss, and that again has its steady abode in
the body"

In the Siva sutra, human body is described as the house of the divine:-

"tvam deya saha deha deva sadane devacharye aharnisham"

Hatha Yoga also ordains perfection of body in order to enable the seeker to
discover his
true self. The body is described as the receptacle of the soul's experiences.

THASYA BHOGAYATANAM SHARIRUM

In the Vaishnava tradition too careful upkeep of the body is obtained:

SHARIRUM DHARMA SUMYUKTHAM RAKSHANIYAM PRAYATNAHA

(The Body which is associated with Dharma must be maintained carefully). the
body is the
main instrument of music. All sounds , and musical instruments are its
extensions.

Swamiji's efforts to make music the instrument of cue of the body is
essentially directed at
the deeper, metaphysical aspects of human existence. It is his way to establish
Dharma by
alleviating and removing pain. Khwaja Muinuddin Chisiti of Ajmir onc e said
that his
mission was - "To redress the misery of those in distress....." Swamiji's music
therapy
promises to do just and even more.

This concert hall which Swamiji has established here is equipped with the most
sophisticated instruments. It enhances the reach and intensity of music and, in
that sense,
is a very potent demonstration of its power. But we should not forget that
Indian music
has been created from the simplest of instruments. A little bamboo became a
flute, the
earthen pot a drum,little ceramic pots with different levels of water become
jalatharung, a
dried up vegetable became the Been. The examples are infinite. These
instruments
enhanced the quality and the variety of Indian music, and they also extended
its reach to
the common men. These instruments could be easily made with locally available
materials
and played by the local musicians with growing perfection. Vocal music also had
a very
wide reach in our country. Legend has it that Tansen, whose body was
experiencing a
burning sensation because he sang the Deepak Raga, was cured by two simple
village girls
who sang for him the Raga Megh-Malhar. This is one of the many stories of the
curative
power of music which has come down to us.

I shall be very happy if Swamiji and his disciples use his enormous knowledge
of "raga"
and "raginis" to create standardized treatment for physical and mental
ailments. Many
among us falter in our spiritual pursuits because of weak and sickly bodies.
Perhaps
Swamiji can show us the way how to get over those weakness in order to find the
path-
way to the supreme.

I once again thank all those present here and specially Swamiji for this grand
effort.

SRI KRISHAN KANT

http://www.dattapeetham.com/india/NadaMantapa/31stMay/VicePresidentSpeech.html

In Datta seva

Jaya Guru Datta

Hanuman

Dying to be thin? Anorexia. Narrated by Julianne Moore.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/abEMxA/sbOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM