On Dec 12, 2005, at 3:02 AM, Robert Gimbel wrote:

On Dec 10, 2005, at 1:35 PM, cardemaister wrote:

On Dec 10, 2005, at 3:14 AM, cardemaister wrote:

Maybe I read a bad translation!

Well, as a semi-devoted TMer, I like to read

Sanskrit texts from TM POV. Here's yet another tranlation

for "lokaanandaH samaadhi-sukham":

18.

Translation - Enjoying Samadhi is like enjoying the world.

Exposition - When established in pure thought and having

achieved

self-realization, one knows the conscious void that supports the

entire world. Subsequent to the knowledge of conscious void that

manifests and retains the visible world on the support of

visible

body, there remains no difference between so-called worldly

pleasures

and the delight of samadhi. This is because the basic cause that

is

manifested and is experienced in both is one and the same – the

awakened consciousness.

--------------

But for that kind of translation I would expect some modifier

in the suutra like "like" - "iva" [ee-vah]:

lokaananda [BTW: loka + aananda] iva samaadhi-sukham

The shiva-sutra was the first major translation I worked on after

the

YS.

samaadhi-sukham is the bliss inherent in constant mindfulness of

knowing-the-Self. Samadhi does not mean meditative absorption but

refers to mindfulness of the Self in all objects. The word loka

therefore in this context refers to the multitude of "objects"

available in any dimension.

It is said that the following verse from the vijnanabhairava

clarifies this verse:

"One should regard the whole world or his own body as full of the

delight inherent in the Self. Simultaneously (with his world-

view)

he

will find himself full of the highest delight which is simply due

the soma welling up in in Self."

Kshmereraja in his comment on this verse, rearranges the order

thusly:

samaadhi-sukham lokaanandaH

It works in both directions: delight of knowing Self in objects

infuses delight in living beings.

Here's yet another translation, from sanskrit.gde.to -site,

that seems to be erroneous:

1.18 The bliss of the sight is the joy of samadhi.

It's true that the root for 'loka', namely 'lok', means

'to see, behold', but despite that the noun 'loka' doesn't

seem to have the meaning 'sight', whereas 'loka' with the

prefix 'aa' (aaloka) actually has 'sight' amongst its meanings.

I had to rely heavily on enlightened teachers of this tradition in

order to be able to translate most of the verses. The entire Trika

seems like that.

This reminds me of the same principle, of just staying "with the

light" within, and 'feel' whatever it is; whether emotional,

physical, and just stay with the feeling and bring light or attention

to it.

Just seems like any block in the system, is a block in the energy

system, whether it be emotional, or physical, or whatever;

The solution, is to bring awareness to it, as much as possible;

Eckart Tolle, speaks of this in relation to 'healing the pain body',

as he calls it.

Which means just allowing 'Presence' or just witnessing from a place

of light, tends to dissolve the heaviness or stuckness..

'Feeling the universal energy flowing through the body;

notice where it may be tight or stuck, and just be with the feeling;

see what images or release comes..

Don't mentalize the process, just keep it on an energy/feeling level.

From my experience, however strong I feel 'presence' or pure

consciousness, in my awareness, then that's how strong the influence

of healing feels;

So, the essence is the ability to maintain the 'light within'

And however bright this light within becomes,

That is how healing or all-pervasive it feels to BE.

R.G.

For me it highlights how and why a Master in Unity can transmit that state to others--all objects are reflections in the mirror of his or her consciousness. It's spontaneously obvious how to get the ripe student to share in that experience. If the student can maintain what the teacher transmits, they are enlightened in an instant. If not, they fall out of this upaya (method) and must rely on one of the other two upayas the Shiva-sutra details.