SRI DATTA JAYANTHI CELEBRATIONS

Sunday,14/12/97

Photos of Various events of this day

Sri Swamiji conducted Sri Chakra Puja and Ganapati Homa as usual in the
morning. Then
Sahasra Kalasa Tailabishekam was performed to Kalagni Shamana Datta in the
temple of
the Ashrama. Following the Pavana Homa and Datta Homa were performed. Many
people
participated in the Anagha Vratam.

The following message was given by Sri Swamiji.

We are all tiny specks of the Universal Lord - Paramatma. Though He is unseen,
He is
invisible. His magnanimity is beyond our comprehension. We have drifted far,
far away
from him. No doubt we are precious, being tiny specks of the Supreme Lord. We
are like
various precious Ornaments glued to something impure, something undesirable.
Seeing
our sorry state, our miserable condition, the merciful Lord came down to uplift
us, to
rescue us in the form of Dattatreya, the unique spiritual master of all times.
He is an
expert goldsmith. He can remove the dirt and impurities of the ornament,
without spoiling
it in any way. He makes it fit for decoration of the Lord. This means he
purifies and guides
us properly to rejoin the supreme Lord.
A capable master and a patient disciple - this is a fine combination.
Dattatreya is an
expert spiritual master. He is the perfect master. Less efficient goldsmiths
spoil the
ornament. Datta does his job thoroughly well. He is the Guru not only for
humans, but
also to celestials and demons. What?! - Guru for even demons? Yes! He slowly
transforms
the demons and leads them to the right path. A real Jnani, knower, does not
boast of
himself. Whoever makes such an announcement is a cheat. By Guru's grace the
disciple
gets salvation in a subtle way, even unknowingly.
People are attached to worldliness, that is the cause of their misery. Sadguru
cleanses us
by making us perform different rituals properly. Contemplate on the divine play
of Datta.
Study Jnana Vasishta, which deals with the principle of renunciation.
Datta is the trinity in one - Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva in one form. He directed
sages to
perform Pavamana Homa, which removes sins, and bestows peace and plenty.

All the Devotees were enchanted in the musical discourse in the evening. The
following is
His message.

I. Datta's protection

Swamiji explained the meaning of Sanskrit Sloka. He recited thus:

"His Body is still as He is in ecstasy. However, He moves about daily in
several subtle forms
to protect and guide his disciples everywhere. Hence I surrender to Datta, who
is both,
moving and unmoving. Datta's only mission is to uplift the disciples."

Sri Swamiji rendered a song emphasizing the protective power of Datta (Jaya
janavana
chitta).

II.
"Generally people say that they are fighting for peace, even at the cost of
life. This is self-
contradictory. Who can a battle cause peace? Our thoughts and words and deeds
should
not hurt others, no insult or injury should be caused to others by our
behavior. Before you
aim at world peace attempt at inner peace of mind yourself. Then there will be
world
peace. What all we do at home generally causes tension and worry. You behave in
peaceful
way with you friends and relatives. The way you keep your things, books,
clothes, utensils
in your room and home should be neat and proper. This brings in peace of mind
and
peace at home. Gradually the peace spreads around."
Swamiji sang one sloka and one bhajan conveying the above ideas.

III.
Swamiji sang a bhajan of Janardana part of Maharashtra and explained its
meaning.
" The saint sings the glory of Rama who is all pervasive. By singing the pious
qualities of
God again and again, one acquires such noble traits."

IV.

Swamiji rendered a bhajan and described its significance.
"Before one goes to bed, one must analyze the mistakes committed in the day.
Seek God's
pardon with repentance. Do not feel proud of good achievements. Thank God.
Think of
God just on getting. People convince themselves for their mistakes. No mistake
can be
committed in secrecy, you cannot hide anything wrong. The five elements of
nature, sun,
moon, etc. are witnessing your deeds. Even if others point out, some adamant
people
don't repent, they do not apologize. This is wrong. Whatever good or bad we do
-
everything is recorded by Chitragupta, the celestial accountant of sin and
merit. You
cannot deceive him. Some people do many good things, but a single big mistake
overshadows what all good they have done. Self-analysis enables them to correct
themselves.
Early in the morning, more so before sunrise, the mind will be pure and active.
For
spiritual practice, music practice or studies this is the most preferable
period. Gradually
the mind gets tired with the passage of daytime. Mind is affected by the heat
and strain of
the day. Hence, utilize the dawn and early morning daily in a purposeful way.
Sound sleep
is very essential for good health. One must go to bed wearing clean clothes,
wash your
feet before sleeping. When you are about to sleep and just on getting up, think
on God
and not coffee. Thank God for the good rest of the night and the good day he
gave you.
Such a daily practice makes you young and energetic. You will be successful in
your
activities. It is important to observe one principle: Don't entertain thoughts,
fear or worry
just on getting up. Chant the names of god. Don't spoil the entire day with a
sad
beginning. "

V.
The grant finale for the music session was the sonorous singing of the
rapturous bhajan
on the eternal shower of Datta's mercy. Swamiji said: " Diffidence and
disappointment
disappear by Datta's grace."

The Datta Jayanti Celebrations concluded with the joyous, thrilling
Raftfestival, i.e.
Udopotsavam conducted in the Saptarishi tank of the Ashrama.
http://www.dattapeetham.com/additions/dattajayanti/sunday/Report14.html

Jai Guru Datta

IN Datta Seva

Hanuman

www.dattapeetham.com

Ever feel sad or cry for no reason at all? Depression. Narrated by Kate Hudson.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YbEMxA/ubOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM