>>> Mind is not a creature of the trigunas, it is defiled by them. They have to
>>> be overcome and Turiya achieved.  <<<

Where did you gain this knowledge?
&quot;The soul in its pristine state is free of the trigunas, but is affected
by them and becomes the mind.&quot;

According to the Sāṅkhya system, the cosmos is the result of the mutual contact
of two distinct metaphysical categories: Prakṛti (Nature), and Puruṣa (person).
Prakṛti, or Nature, is the material principle of the cosmos and is comprised of
three guṇas, or &quot;qualities.&quot; These are sattva, rajas, and tamas.
Sattva is illuminating, buoyant and a source of pleasure; rajas is actuating,
propelling and a source of pain; tamas is still, enveloping and a source of
indifference (Sāṅkhya Kārikā 12-13).

Puruṣa, in contrast, has the quality of consciousness. It is the entity that
the personal pronoun “I” actually refers to. It is eternally distinct from
Nature, but it enters into complex configurations of Nature (biological bodies)
in order to experience and to have knowledge. According to the Sāṅkhya
tradition, mind, mentality, intellect or Mahat (the Great one) is not a part of
the Puruṣa, but the result of the complex organization of matter, or the guṇas.
Mentality is the closest thing in Nature to Puruṣa, but it is still a natural
entity, rooted in materiality. Puruṣa, in contrast, is a pure witness. It lacks
the ability to be an agent. Thus, on the Sāṅkhya account, when it seems as
though we as persons are making decisions, we are mistaken: it is actually our
natural constitution comprised by the guṇas that make the decision. The Puruṣa
does nothing but lend consciousness to the situation (Sāṅkhya Kārikā 12-13, 19,
21).
http://www.iep.utm.edu/hindu-ph/