 Re "[The Eucharist] is not a symbol, it is the real thing -  it is the literal
flesh and blood of Christ transformed. ":

 Indeed, not a symbol - a concept or thought.
 But the literal flesh and blood are phenomenal through and through. (As are
literal pines and their scent.)

 And all phenomena are manifestations of the noumenon (a thing as it is in
itself, as distinct from a thing as it is knowable by the senses through
phenomenal attributes). So ultimately "the real thing" transcends phenomena.

 Hmm, so if you are right (or somebody whose thoughts you are paraphrasing here
is right) then that great big beating Heart that Upfronter and I sense out
there might just be real.

 The Eucharist essential celebrates the fact that all experience is "empty" (in
the Buddhist sense).
 Experience being empty there is nothing left to grasp.
 Grasping is what the ego tries to do.
 Seeing that grasping is a futile exercise we die to the ego and are reborn.

 I think maybe you are mixing some different religious viewpoints here - namely
East and West. I have never heard the Eucharist explained like this from anyone
in the Catholic Church - but that isn't to say I don't like this description.
In addition, I am hardly the religious scholar seeing as I operate from the
literal seat of my pants and hairs of my chinny chin chin as I weave and bob my
way through the pine scented pathways and trails of this life. Robin Carlsen or
Judy Stein would be far better discussion mates for you if you're looking for
hard facts, interesting conjecture and intellectual counterpoints.

 The essence of Christianity.

 Wow, in the proverbial nutshell.

 Re "Reading scripture, libraries full of books, following one-pointed and
intentional devotional paths through meditation, abstinence or asceticism just
can't hold a candle to a noseful of pine scent as you stumble over moss-covered
rocks on a woodland trail":

 Isn't that why Christians have made the Eucharist the central part of their
worship? It's just a morsel of bread and a sip of wine.

 I don't think that is why. I was raised Catholic and for them ( I don't
consider myself a true Catholic at this point in my life), it is not a symbol,
it is the real thing -  it is the literal flesh and blood of Christ
transformed.

 The point was to single out one particular phenomenon as a finger pointing at
The Source of all phenomena.

 I'm not sure of that either, or maybe I just don't agree or maybe I don't
understand what you are saying. If the Eucharist is "The Source" of all
phenomena (which I don't believe it is - it is just an example of one really
big way God sacrificed his flesh for us as a way to healing/forgiving/saving
our imperfect selves. It isn't pointing to anything other than his givingness
and our neediness. What it is, if you believe, is one phenomenon but not
necessarily the source of all phenomena (although God is this source, the
Eucharist is not).

 A noseful of pine scent would have done the job just as well!

 Absolutely. It is one mind-blowing example of the infinite amount of phenomena
out there that surround us in this life/time.

 The Eucharist obviously did the trick as it has survived for millennia. It was
intended to facilitate a shift in consciousness but for most Christians today
it has just become either a symbol (a concept remaining at the level of our
everyday thinking) or a bit of superstitious, quasi-magical mumbo-jumbo.

 If one were to truly count oneself a "true Catholic" then one does believe the
reality of that flesh and blood that becomes transformed during Mass. It isn't
mumbo jumbo and it is not a symbol. Perhaps to those not of the Catholic faith
or "most Christians" it is which is a bit of a pity. I always find it tempting
to go for broke - grab the really big possibility, the most mind-grabbing
option and prepare to be blown away.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <upfronter@...> wrote :

 …or the availability to adore the One Supreme Being through His Spiritual
Christ, no other Way except in name and comprehension

 I'm not sure I adore anybody - Christ, Spiritual Christ, One Supreme Being or
whatever else anyone wants to call him/it/her. I am not quite intimately
connected enough to do so but if what Seraphita calls "The Self" is the same
thing as these Christs and Buddha Mind then I am not sure what she means. Are
we talking about something existing outside of who we are or something that is
us? Even if we are talking about The Self within ourselves I am still coming to
know that as well and am still working on the "adoring" part. When I am
"adoring" enough am I enlightened? Do I have to focus on a "thing"? Can I not
just generally recognize within my own heart and mind that there is a God of
some sort but I would much rather, am able to, adore him/her/it through
him/her/its Creation? Reading scripture, libraries full of books, following
one-pointed and intentional devotional paths through meditation, abstinence or
asceticism just can't hold a candle to a noseful of pine scent as you stumble
over moss-covered rocks on a woodland trail or feeling a mist drench your face
as you glimpse a shrouded sunrise in the early days of Autumn. But start
reciting Scripture and I'm ready to bolt.

Taking a first-century (named in his honour!) rabbi as a symbol of The One Self
is fine - as long as you realise that he is only one symbol among many others.

 The problem that Christianity faces is its designation of Jesus as the
one-and-only symbol.

 It's tricky! As there is only a unique One Self then after you've baptised it
"Jesus" to later give it another name - "Buddha Mind", say - creates confusion.
But if Otto von Bismarck can also be designated "The Iron Chancellor" why can't
we call The Self by other names?

 "At the name of Jesus every knee should bow . . ." Well, why not? But
understand that "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet".

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <upfronter@...> wrote :

 I have come to see an overall picture a bit like this. There are ordained and
necessary stepping stones across the dangerous swell to the bank on the other
side, all made with slightly different patterns in order to bring the eager
wayfarer and dedicated pilgrim to the safety of dry land. They are essential
and all have their part to play and no stone should be dislodged.

 According to my understanding, I would say in the first instance, that in
Christ Jesus is found simplicity and approachability by anyone with a will –
something too simple for the mind of the religionist, it would appear, as shown
by the attachments added to the life and death of Jesus which have culminated
in various complicated doctrinal beliefs, many based upon a spiritual concept
being literalised into an erroneous assumption (i.e. that a metaphysical belief
brings so-named salvation) because it has not been approached with the
innocence (not naivety) of a child.

 Not all can understand scriptures nor listen attentively to sages expounding
their expression of the truth that they wish to make known. But all can see the
beauty and gentleness and loving-kindness and courage and noble-cause and mercy
of the tender Stranger who laid down a path that any one may see and recognise.

 In that faithful Example, that true Way (which includes meditation and prayer
and retreating into the Silence of the desert or mountain), so is expressed all
that can bring to the soul not only spiritual evolution but also relief from
the burning and burning of remorse when this short life is over and the owner
of the soul awakens in another condition of life to meet the results of their
earth journey for good and for ill.

 In the manifestation of Jesus of Nazareth is found the "The image of the
invisible God", "the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of
His nature", " the fullness of the Godhead dwelling bodily", "The begotten God
who is in the bosom of the Father, He (Christ) unfolds Him (the Father)" and in
His (Christ's) face is "the light of the knowledge of the glory of God".

 It seems clear to me that no human can truly fathom the Divine nature of the
man Jesus even though a man He was, and yet so unlike the men and women who
followed Him. Yet in Him, I believe, is the bridge between a man or woman or
child and the "God whom no man has ever seen". In Jesus the Christ can be found
the channel, the conduit, the Door that secures the Way over the dark abyss
caused by the adverse effects of free-willed beings violating universal
spiritual laws of Divine Love over the aeons through selfishness and ignorance.

 So in Jesus is found the most openly accessible Way or Emblem to the universal
brotherhood and sisterhood in the Divine Being, who rather than being just an
influence and far more than a Force, is sentient in a way that cannot as yet be
grasped in these material conditions. An approachable availability is
demonstrated for many upon this Earth, and, as I see it, such ease of access is
also put into good and essential use in the Hereafter where necessary, in a far
reaching way.

 So yes, the sages and wise men of all ages have shown mankind the Way forward
as far as spiritual progression is concerned, and yet in the simplicity and
humility of the expression of Divine Love found in Jesus Christ is cemented
into the consciousness of humanity a figure or vision which, on the very
instant it arises in the mind, can bring the embodiment of the wholeness and
fullness of an ineffable and unthinkable Divine Nature to both little child and
mature adult alike.

 Many wonderful gifts has the Absolute One showered upon humanity over the
ages, and yet in the very thought of perfect humility and Love becoming
manifest as yet another gift to humanity is, in itself, unthinkable in its
fuller connotations. Simple and yet deeply profound - and a gift (of Himself)
that a pure and burning Love could not fail to bestow upon those for whom the
great Heart forever beats.

 After saying this, I would also say please do not take this too literally,
spiritual consciousness is far more forgiving as far as concepts and beliefs
are concerned than the limitations imposed by words either written or spoken.

 That is just my opinion.

              • ... upfron...@ymail.com [FairfieldLife]
              • ... upfron...@ymail.com [FairfieldLife]
              • ... olliesed...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]