Wake up and smell the endemic corruption, Mike. Illegal immigration is HUGELY
supported by corporations like ADM and the Mormons over at Marriott. There are
indications our economy would not survive without the millions of undocumented
workers picking our fruits and veggies, and cleaning our hotel/motel rooms.
This isn't some unconsciously lax policy that made its way into our
infrastructure by mistake. It is deliberate, with deliberate suppression of any
attempts to legalize the process. Trump is telling us what we want to hear, but
no way in hell is the Establishment going to stop illegal (wink, wink)
immigration. It makes them waaay too much money. The Feds like it too, as all
those purloined Social Security numbers pay into the system, with no chance of
a pay out. A Wall - what a joke. The money makers would prefer a moving walkway
facing North.

 And my point is that governments have the right to tax whatever they want to
tax. They can just as easily tax remittances by people without work permits,
collected by banks that issue cashiers checks, money orders, credit cards,
personal checks  etc. Just because they worked for it doesn't mean it can't be
taxed. Chances are, that if they truly had low paying jobs, they didn't pay
income tax on it anyway, yet benefit from others who  do and our social system.

 And if a politician is elected that wants to build a wall and tax remittances
, then the voters have spoken. Actually the wall  has already been approved and
authorized but never completed.

 It's not that difficult to check who has a work permit.It;s called E-verify.
One can electronically check to see if a SS# is authentic.
 Your argument that it would be expensive and time consuming is the same
argument industries used to avoid warning labels and content labels on
packaging and requiring safe products on the market.
 Of course no wall will keep 100% of undocumented out. No one ever said it
would. But if built right, it could slow it to trickle or a manageable
level.Instead of putting the effort to find a way around or over or under,
those that really wanted to come would have an easier time of applying to come
legally instead of the other way around. Drugs, criminals, the already deported
could be kept out easier.
 Local citizens will be more than willing to mow the grass, trim the bushes,
clean the pool, shovel the stalls if it was worth their while. They've done it
before and will do it again... for fifteen an hour. LOL